• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

ADHD & Music/Practice

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hey fellow students, I have a question for y’all.
    So basically, I have ADHD-C, which is basically most of the symptoms of ADHD. I’m forgetful, disorganized, I can’t pay attention easily, I fidget, and I have trouble focusing on any one thing for a period of time, among other things.. Like right now I’m supposed to be writing an essay so I’ll type this out quick I guess. So, as a run-off of this, I often have looked back and found that this has causes some regular issues with my practice routine as well as actually playing music. I used to play onstage fairly regularly during high school and I would often find myself getting distracted and losing my place in the song, and even struggling in the heat of the moment to remember what part comes next. I also have trouble focusing on practice, which seems extremely tedious, I often will practice one thing for a bit and then just kind of wander off into noodling. SO I know this is probably a pretty specific question that might not get a ton of answers, but if anyone has a similar story, what are some routines or mindsets that you put yourself in to really focus on the task at hand and make it enjoyable? I feel like this is a large obstacle to my learning and so I’m looking to overcome it. Thanks for the read and sorry for the very specific post.

Andrew Fernandes

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    London
    www.youtube.com
    I don’t know if this is the same, maybe it’s similar. I suffer from mental health I have been to hospital 3 times during my teenage years I had a 3 psychotic episodes. I have that same low motivation when it comes to practicing or laziness. For me I blame the medication for my low drive and motivation even some psychologists who have gotten out the profession confirm that these medications do not work and make you worse. Im still on them however I can not risk coming off them now as its too dangerous at my current situation as I have some personal problems still left to resolve, these drugs only mask the problem. On my first admission to a hospital they thought I had some evidence of adhd, but I think i was just energetic and cheerful. My problem is more paranoia and psychosis symptoms. I only practice when i feel like it, which is bad and also its not practicing its just playing my favourite songs or licks nothing really routine. I think probably theres a lot of musicians with our sort of problems maybe it helps them be creative.

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I definitely agree. Usually my go-to method for practice is to learn a song with a specific technique I wanna learn, which is great cuz then I can relate the technique to a song, but it doesn’t completely allow me to take that technique and apply it elsewhere as easily.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    I work with children with special needs and most of them have atention disorders. Maybe I can help you.
    Did you know that Kurt Cobain had this disorder?
    I would tell you to structure your practice in short periods and takea break when you feel you are dropping your attentions. During the break try to do some activity that will help you release your energy like going for a walk or do some physical exercise.
    It also helps to eat something crunchy or chewing gum when you have to focus on a task. And sitting on an unstable seat like a therapy ball or something like that will make your body focus attention because you need to make small movements to stabilise your body position. I know it sounds weird but this gives you more awareness of what you are doing and I know for sure that it works. Sometimes I use it for myself because I had cancer and after the chemo I started to have some problems to focus.
    Playing an instrument is a great way to improve your cognitive skills and this includes attention, so keep practicing no matter if you have some bad days…we all do

Reactions: Reshef De-Levie

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I have no story’s lIke this but for the learning a song tor learn the technique and not being able to apply it to other things afterwards. Try to analyze the songs for a bit and see what the underlying harmony is and what the other instruments are doing. Maybe That helps applying the techniques to your playing hope this helps a bit with that.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Yes, exactly!
    I hope they can be useful tips and improve your practice. And try not to learn too many things at the same time, don’t be overwhelmed by too much information because that affects your concentration. And never get discouraged, just take a break and go back when you feel you are ready.
    I hope it helps

Jake Arnold

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Traverse City
    I feel you there! I have ADHD as well, though I have somewhat different problems. I don’t have a hard time remembering songs or where I am at but when it comes to learning notes or stuff I don’t necessarily consider fun I find it SUPER hard to stay focused, like remembering the notes on the fret board…
    I learned that I have to sing the notes as I play them so that my brain is fully involved in what my hands are doing. Other wise after a minute it’s almost like I go into day-dream mode and can do tons of work but I memorize not one bit of it. It’s quiet annoying honestly.
    So maybe try that? I also agree with Mariler, short periods of learning, then noodle around for a minute, then another few minutes of learning. Kind of like a work out or something.
    But yeah, try singing the notes that you are fretting simultaneously and maybe that will help a little with the practice part of it.
    I hope this helps!
    I don’t know if this good to do or not, but I will go to Syns etudes and pick a lesson, learn that pattern and then I will go learn stuff and when I start to lose attention I will play the pattern I learned in the etudes and then go back to learning and so on.