• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Any good guitars out there?

1nonlyAzrael

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Canada
So right now i dont have a guitar. I just go to a drop in center for teens or kids because i play guitar and learn some stuff there but i want a guitar for myself at home to use so is there good and somewhat cheap guitars i can buy? So i need help with that and also i dont have an amp either.

• Love
Reactions: Jak Angelescu

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Look up Schecter and Ibanez affordable models. They usually give you a pretty good quality to prize ratio. As for an amp, I heard some good things about The boss katana.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Totally agree with Ids.
    If you are a "bedroom Player" and don't want to disturb people while still having some Solid Tone AND you don't have much Money to Spend I definetly recommend you the Boss Katana Mini amp.
    If it can be louder or a little pricier you might want to look Into their 50 or 100 line

Conor Mason

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hermitage, Pennsylvania- USA
    Hi Gabe,

I will try to help and feel free to drop me a line. Right now, more so than when I was younger, there is a fantastic selection of guitars in the $500 and lower range that really do the job and are great quality instruments. First off, when I start looking, I establish a budget. How much do I want to/can spend? What vibe or tone am I going for? Are there artists that use a guitar brand that I love to hear on recordings? I have several guitars, much to my family's chagrin, lol. I have guitars from Paul Reed Smith (PRS), Gretsch, Epiphone, D'Angelico, Gibson, Fender, Schecter and Squier. I want to add that I've collected, purchased and traded a lot over the years! ;) I also recommend using reliable reviewers like Dawson's, GAK, PMTUK and Anderton's videos to see reviews and demos of gear. I, personally, find the reviews in the UK are really thorough, honest, and spot on. A hard part of this is trying to figure out what you like. If you haven't played a lot of guitars or amps, that can be daunting. If you are able to go, a music store is a great place to start. Play as many guitars and amps as you can in the budget you set to find out what sound best and feels best to your ears and hands! Epiphone, Ibanez, Squier, PRS, Schecter, Gretsch and Fender all make great guitars in a lot of ranges. I find PRS to be such high quality, even from their SE series, however their lowest priced instruments start at $495 here in the US. Jackson is good too.

Ibanez, overall, is really consistent in their QC, as is PRS, Epiphone(now especially), Schecter and LTD even. There really isn't a right or wrong answer. Just go out and play! I follow the same logic for amplifiers. A great place to start is what tone do you like? What do your favorite artists use? A huge question in the amp world is British or American tones? My favorites are Fender, Marshall, Orange and Blackstar is cool too. I had a Mesa Boogie, and like them, but I love British amps, especially Orange. Boss is making great amps that are really affordable that do practically anything. Play as many amps as you can.

I will try to wrap this up, haha...Overall, play with an open mind, ears and hands. Pick what you like, regardless of anything else. A reliable salesman will help you discover what you want, not just sell you something. If you are in the US, Sweetwater is a wonderful company to work with any purchases. A basic starting point, budget wise, is between $300-500 for a guitar in my mind. Anything cheaper is going to have quality issues in a lot of brands, but reliable ones are Ibanez, Yamaha, and Squier in the lower end, less than $300. Epiphone is making strides too. watch reviews, play and research. Take your time.

Happy Hunting! Feel free to reach out. I hope that gives you a starting point!

• Love
    Reactions: 1nonlyAzrael

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    If this is your first real guitar. I wouldn't spend anymore then 500 combined for both the guitar and amp. Even tho you have one to play somewhere else you tend to beat up your first guitar pretty good.

Once you are comfortable I'd upgrade then. That's kind of what I did.. I had a very cheap 50 dollar guitar and a cheap amp.. think they were 80 dollars combined. A year later i upgraded to the revenger.

If you for sure know your stuff though and for sure know you wont butcher your guitar then you could maybe take something newer and higher quality. I'd just hate to see you spend an arm and a leg and then have the guitsr have issues cause you're strumming is too heavy or.. anything that could stunt you when you're first starting out.

If you have money to spend tho I wont tell you what to do with it. Lol but me in a budget I'd make sure I was comfortable in buying something worth a grand and being ok with the idea of beating it up a bit. Even my revenger was pretty beat up. It did sound good as new though. You can find gems for cheap prices too. Take a good look.. and play everything before you buy it.

Reactions: 1nonlyAzrael
    Synner Endless Summer Collection