• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Anyone with back issues?!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Hey y’all !
    Just wondering if there’s anyone out there like me with back issues. I recently had spine surgery for a herniated disc so my playing as been sporadic since I can’t sit for long periods of time. I’ve been trying play standing up (which I honestly never did before) and it’s like a whole new experience ! Lol.
    Any tips or tricks ?

J

Jak Angelescu

This would actually be a really good question for my singer to answer. She has studied a lot of kinesiology, physiology and human anatomy and she knows how the muscles and the spinal system works. Is there any way you can upload a video of how you sit when you play and I’m sure she would be more than able to help you find a good way that would be comfortable for you. Especially let us know what kind of surgery you had and where. Her specialty in massage therapy and corrective exercise is in those who are recovering from surgery and those who are ailing in some way

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Thanks Jak ! I had a microdiscectomy of my L4,L5 due to a herniated disc which lead to cause equina syndrome… a big fancy word for The disc squishing vital nerves that control the bladder and what not. I also have permanent nerve damage in my leg and sitting seems to exacerbate it.
    I know sitting puts the most stress on the back and per my surgeon I’m limited as to how long I can sit, though I typically don’t even reach his time limit because of the pain before I need to stand up.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    It’s harder to play standing up, but better all around. You’ll notice that Syn and other rock stars don’t bring comfy chairs out on stage to play. I find that as I’m getting older, my back is less forgiving on heavy guitars like the Les Paul and even my older Ibanez. I just got a headless Kiesel Osiris and it’s EASILY the lightest guitar I’ve ever played, and it’s awesome. I feel like I could play for hours with it, like in the good old days.
    Bad back means lighter guitars. Good luck and happy recovery!

chris holske

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I had that same surgery 10 years ago. I still have issues if I’m not working out to keep my core strong. I recently started Yoga and it has changed my life, pain wise. 10 years ago I would have laughed at the thought but I swear by it. Good luck.