• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Are you loyal to one brand in particular?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
For me personally I will buy a decent quality Stratocaster guitar from any company(definetely does not have to be Fender). Besides that I keep a keen Eye on PRS, Gibson, Fender and Schecter to see what kind off guitars they have in their collection.

Of course there are always the odd ones out from other brands that can catch my eye too.

How about you guys?

J

Jak Angelescu

I don't think I can be. Holly has always asked me if I was to be endorsed by one good guitar brand which would would I want to be endorsed by. I never could because different styles and different guitars and different brands all have unique features that I find a beneficial. I have a Gibson, a fender, two schecters, and an ESP Japanese model and I use all of them for different purposes

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Instrument wise, not really. I mean I am not an expert in this area, I just go out and test guitars and whatever one sounds like I want I just go with that. My current electrical guitar is a Washburn model, which sounds really great. I also own a Yamaha digital piano.

Gear wise, I used to default to Behringer when in doubt. While there are probably far better options out there, to me they were always the most reliable ones. And while it feels like a Jack-of-all-trades equipment at times, they do the job for what I want to do.

Reactions: idssdi

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I can't say I have many options. It's more that I know what I get when I know the companys name. But another big point is who plays this brand. Metallica uses ESPs? I love ESP! But I would not mind trying out other brands as well if I had the money. Like Jak said, different guitar different features.

But there is one case where the brand matters to me. I dream of once owning a Flying V and it has to be a Gibson or Epiphone.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I think youd have to get used to playing the brand live but on recordings you could use whatever the fuck you want. For that reason alone I would be okay being endorsed. But.. who ever did it had to be very good at making replicas.

I was a big schecter guy for the longest time. When I got the gretsch I was blown away. Now I got the epiphone. And it humssss. So thick. Reminds me a bit of the revenger.

Now I want the fender. I want the mick mars power. I already mentioned how everyone loves that sound I'm definitely one of them. I wish he had a custom.

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    I am definitely not. I own a Schecter and an Ibanez. I don't choose guitars because of the brand. I choose guitars because of sound, design and feeling.
    Man, I wish I could play a strandberg or a 7 or 8 string guitar...
    Maybe someday...

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Loyalty has a price. There is no guitar company that has expressed that loyalty to me, so I will not express it for them. I have a number of guitars from many different manufacturers (as any of my IG or YT followers can attest to), and they all have their pros and cons and serve their purposes. There are a few others I'd like to add to my stable, but I currently own or have owned in the past:

Keisel (2019 Osiris custom)
    Ormsby (2018 Shark GTR)
    2017 Perle Custom Destroyerman
    Schecter (Omen 7 - sold)
    PRS (2015 Custom 24, 10 top)
    Gibson (2009 Les Paul Traditional Pro II)
    Fender (dreadnaught acoustic and Stratacoustic, both sold)
    Ibanez (90 RG550, 91 540R, 2014 RG9xx something, 2015 RG6xx something - used to have a 1986 PL1660 that I miss)
    Martin (2013 DCPA-5)
    Takamine (1973 F400 12-string)
    Yamaha (Cheap Tele copy - sold)

I will have an American Fender Telecaster, a PRS Silver Sky (Strat), and probably a few more Keisels before I'm done. Aww, who the fuck am I kidding? I'll never be done. I'll also look at the newer Schecter Syns and see if I like them yet.

@Cedric L - I played a Strandberg at my local guitar shop a few weeks ago when I test-drove the PRS MT-15 amp. Really nice, but the V neck profile was REALLY REALLY WEIRD.

Cedric L

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Germany
    @Cedric L - I played a Strandberg at my local guitar shop a few weeks ago when I test-drove the PRS MT-15 amp. Really nice, but the V neck profile was REALLY REALLY WEIRD.

Okay I got a question.
    Is it harder to play solos on a strandberg?
    These guitars don't have a head and the body is shorter too. So I think the weight of a strandberg is much lower than other guitars. And without enough weight the guitar loses stability (while playing solos).
    That's what I think.
    What's your opinion about that?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I always like to compare Gibson to Apple. They can make great products. But they are hardly ever worth the money.
    I is worth the money if you are willing to spend on it. Besides the software for an apple is actually kinda better than that of a Windows PC. High end Gibson's are in the same price range as Fender, PRS and that mind of companies and I wouldn't say their guitars are worse

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com

Well, I have a headless Keisel, so headless wasn't new, and has no effect playability except to reduce weight and make any thought of neck dive non-existent. The strandberg was light, for sure, and really enjoyable to play. The neck really is a V shape, though, and that was the biggest thing. It was playable, but I would think that neck profile is something you probably need to go all in on - either play all Strandbergs, or don't play them. Do-able in a pinch, and a fun change of pace, but it definitely didn't facilitate comfort and is not as easy to go back and forth with as the fanned frets/multiscale of the Ormsby and others.

Reactions: Cedric L