• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Buying a new guitar

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    Hey guys, I found two awesome guitars that Im interested in. But they look almost the same, cuz the only diference I found is that one has 2 knobs and the other one has 3. But that doesnt justify the diference of 200€. These are the links. Please help, im confused and im afraid of chose wrong. These are the links:
    https://www.musicfactory.pt/catalogo/Guitarras/Guitarras-Electricas/200234.aspx
    https://www.gear4music.pt/pt/Guitarra-e-Baixo/Schecter-Omen-Extreme-6-FR-Black-Cherry/1JY7
    Its what im saying: the expensive one has just 2 knobs and the other one has 3 but that doesnt justify 200€ lol.
    Help! Thanks

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Depends on what you want. The cheaper one has a fixed bridge, where the more expensive one has a Floyd Rose. The Floyd, if you want it, costs more and is worth more. The important thing, though, is that the PICTURE used in the first link is inaccurate – it’s not even the right model. The specs down below are roughly the same as the ones for the second link, including the number and uses for the knobs and switches. The 200€ difference seems to be for the Floyd Rose tremolo system.

Filip Tomiša

Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    You have to keep in mind that if you get a floyd rose guitar you can only have 1 tuning, so you can’t switch from let’s say E standard to drop D because the locking nut keeps the strings locked and they stay that way. To change a tuning on a floyd rose guitar it requires a “long” setup that beginners usually can’t do by themselves.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The Floyd Rose is the whammy bar – it can do lots of wiggly, vibratey, dive-bomby things and it certainly has it’s purposes. Like Filip says, it can be difficult, too, especially for the newer player.
    I will be doing a detailed video shortly (I HOPE!) on the Floyd and all it’s many quirks, oddities, and joys – from usage, to setup, to care and feeding.

Ethan Keeling

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Aylesbury, England
    If theres a local music shop its probably worth trying a guitar with a floyd rose if you haven’t already just to give you an idea of what they’re like. Could also ask them about any enquiries you have as they can show you in person different features etc of floyd rose bridges. But floyd roses take longer to restring (I find) however the tuning stability is excellent. However, if you intend on getting just one guitar and using that for multiple tunings then the fixed bridge is probably best as you can change the tunings nicer and easy unlike a floyd rose.Theres pros and cons to both, but the only regret I have with my floyd rose guitars is that they can all only be in one tuning each, and to change them I either need to lock the bridge with something or pay £50 for a totally new setup!

Rute Rodrigues

• Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    Yeah, there isnt any music shop around here. Thats the problem 🙂 But i think I did my choice. Ill buy the one without FR, and then when im older ill think in a FR. Bc Idk how it works and like i said, the only music shop i know is like 40km away from here so yeah, and if I get any problem with it, Idk what to do alone. Thanks guys!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    If you want to do divebombs(or play A7x, pantera, Steve vai, Joe satrianj etc.) definetely go for the Floyd rose!
    As for the difference in knobs 3 knibs means that there is a voume knob and a separate tone knob for each pickup, measing it gives you more tonal possibilities when you’re using the middle position. If it has 2 knobs it’s a volume knob and a universal tone knob.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Beast And The Harlot, Bat country, critical acclaim, Afterlife, Nightmare, Hail To The King, This Means War, The Stage, Sunny Disposition all have whammy bar stuff and these are just the ones I could quickly think of from the top of my head. There’s also whammy bar stuff in A little Piece Of Heaven. Syn does have a whammy bar on his signature guitar and he uses it whenever he feels like it I think.

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I am a huge advocate for floyds and have them on my main guitars but if you want a straight up ready to go metal machine I would advise avoiding them. They are great and are a huge part of my melodic playing (think Vai style inflections). But I really need a simple stripped guitar with a TOM bridge and fishmans. Go for it if you want a ton of versatility and to have fun with it but if not there isn’t really too much point.