• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Cab Packs

Jake Young

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Hummm…interesting! So they do work but have to be converted with frac tool? Make sure you put up your thoughts after you get the chance to play around with them..I’m really wanting to buy them..I’m just not sure it’s worth that price tag? I bought a 4 bundle cab pack last December and have really only used about ten cabs out of the hundreds..

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    @jake – to me, a Cab Pack is really about finding the ONE that works for you. But Cab Packs are usually $20-30, not $120. I’m glad to have this, and happy to support the site, but I really did expect more than just cabs for that money. I will definitely post more complete thoughts as I get deeper into them.
    Misha’s packs are very varied and thorough, to cater to a wide variety of tastes. I imagine this is much more focused overall, but it would also be great if Syn would weigh in with some historical input, as well – i.e. this cab model matches what I used on the clean parts of “Roman Sky.” This one is the cab and mic I used for the “Hail to the King solo,” etc.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Okay, the 4×12 Hellwin 121 A (Hellwin 4×12 cab mic’d with a Royer R-121 Ribbon mic) is seriously good for what I’m looking for. It’s got the right flavor to match the Misha Zilla, but it’s got a sweeter clarity to it. Gonna play some more, but I might have bought my new cabinet…

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    @jared – Ids is correct. The cab pack is IRs (Impulse responses – digital models of speaker cabinets) for use with the Fractal Audio AxeFX amplifier emulator modules. Syn just switched to the AxeFX in the last few months. Some of us here have had them for a couple years. More and more professional and semi-pro artists are using these units (and the Kemper profilers) as a lighter, easier, more dependable, and more-consistent sounding rig night after night.
    For recording, yes, you can plug the unit directly into a computer and record without needing high volume, microphones, etc, but you can also plug them into PA speakers or other similar speaker setups for live or other in-room situations.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Hey guys, so my friends at Fractal are addressing a bug in FractalBot with the Axe Fx II as I am typing this. This should fix the aforementioned issues.
    As far as what cab and mic combos go with what tone, I’d have to take some time to really go through the spec sheets. What I do know, is that I used that exact Bogner cab for City Of Evil through Nightmare. For Hail and The Stage, I used the Hellwin. Those would be for all rhythm and solo tones. For clean tones, I’ve used the Princeton(Buried Alive intro) and Bogner on a lot of the earlier stuff but the last two records have been split pretty damn equally between the Audio Kitchen and Hellwin which are by far, my favorite clean tones I’ve ever achieved.
    Those four mics are pretty much all I’ve ever used, certainly for all main clean, rhythm, and lead tones. The 57 and R121 do 99% of all the heavy lifting for all the heavy stuff.
    For the last two records I’ve used my signature guitar on all heavy tones while I juggled between 3 guitars for clean- My signature git(great for strumming on neck pickup), my 54 sunburst strat(clean rhythm and lead on The Stage), and my Nash T52 based on a telecaster(through Audio Kitchen Roman Sky intro).
    Probably the most special of the bunch would have to be the Polytone Mini Brute. This amp was a gift from my dear friend and manger, Larry Jacobson, who’s father owned it and was very close friends with Joe Pass(my favorite electric jazz guitar player of all time) who played through that exact amp dozens of times as the two would jam together quite frequently. When Larry’s father passed away, he invited me over to check out his dad’s collection. I was honored enough to play through an unreal collection of the finest pieces of Jazz artistry I’ve ever seen. I played through that amp along with Joe’s favorite of Larry’s father’s guitars, a 60’s Gibson Super 400. I played for at least an hour and after I placed it back in it’s case, Larry told me I could keep them both on permanent loner to which his mother rebuked him(albeit very mildly and very sweetly) and said that they now belonged to me. He laughed, I cried, and that was that.
    This collection is an open house into a very special and personal place in my heart. These are my most prized material possessions. They complete 95% of my tone and with a little TLC with your Axe Fx, you can achieve 100% of it. I hope that’s only where you will begin though. It would be a dream come true to hear how you sculpt your own unique tone with these beauties. Maybe someone here can start a forum topic sharing everyones creations.
    Much love,
    Syn

Jason Smith

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I can confirm that the files also need conversion for the axe FX 2 mk 2. Just bought the pack bundle a few minutes ago. Conversion is really tedious, will be testing out a few of the IRs later today at my bands rehearsal. Looking forward to eventually converting and testing them all!

Synner Endless Summer Collection