• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Guitar Playing

Daniel Martinez

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I’ve been having a problem with playing recently say for example I try soloing there’s distortion that is not supposed to be there or theres extra noise the guitar is making. I hope this is making sense but is there any advice to help ? Thanks

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
My first thought is that it’s either due to a broken cable, something wrong with the ground of your guitar or amp(check where you plug in your amp and whether it’s grounded) or you’re close to the amp or maybe there’s something wrong with the cable. These are all relatively easy to check. When there’s something wrong with the wiring of the guitar it’s a bit more trickier to check yourself and I would advice to take it to a luthier.
I forgot to ask the most.important question. Does the guitar have humbuckers or single coils?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kfir Yaakovi

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Israel
    If I’m not wrong, someone here also mentioned in another thread that due to weather changes, your strings might be lower than before and now every touch of your fingers can trigger noise, so you need to tune their height.
    Maybe I’m talking nonsense but I remember some comment like this few weeks ago

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    No, a noise gate is NOT a compressor. With a noise get, you set a threshold of volume. If what’s coming into the gate is of lower volume than the threshold, then it just CLOSES THE GATE and won’t let any sound through.
    This is especially useful with high gain tones. I have mine tuned just so – when I turn the volume off on my guitar, that’s when it kicks in and silences EVERYTHING. Of course, with the AxeFX, I can put this AFTER the amp, so there’s no amp noise at all if I’m not playing.
    If this noise is happening WHILE you’re playing, though, a noise gate won’t help, and I’m leaning more towards weather until you get the sounds posted for us.
    @Kfir – ya, that was me, and it is a real possibility. Definitely wanted to hear what he was talking about before suggesting adjustment.