• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How many songs do you learn at one time?

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Do you guys ever have multiple songs you work on at any given time? I cant keep focused on one song at a time i have to have multiple things to keep me interested 😂 like ill practice a tough metal solo that im learning, then ill jump to a skynyrd song im trying to perfect, all while doing different techniques!

I know its a little unorthodox but please tell me im not the only one 😂

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
I'm not very focused most of the time, so I either have one song I really love so I want to learn it, or a couple that I really like, then I have mostly two songs at once.
Thank god i thought i was alone haha, right now im between unbound by a7x and that smell by skynyrd. Im learning the “correct” way to play it (the way allen collins played it) and its just a nice contrast VS the 5-string sweeps im working on 😂

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
How long on average does it take you to learn a song? I know it depends on difficulty but still
Hmm, I need to think about that one for a bit.

I usually spend like 15 minutes on learning the rhythm parts of the songs I'm doing for the analysis videos. If I do solos two on average probably like in between 1-3 hours when I add everything up(I rarely get to practice for 3 hours straight). There are some exceptions when I have to learn a new technique (The stage intro took me forever to get moderately right) or it is a really long song that also is pretty hard(Exist). This also keeping in mind that I don't stress playing it exactly the same that much(I kinda like to leave space for my own little diddly does in a lot of solos)

• Love
Reactions: Jesse Salmons

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
Indiana
Hmm, I need to think about that one for a bit.

I usually spend like 15 minutes on learning the rhythm parts of the songs I'm doing for the analysis videos. If I do solos two on average probably like in between 1-3 hours when I add everything up(I rarely get to practice for 3 hours straight). There are some exceptions when I have to learn a new technique (The stage intro took me forever to get moderately right) or it is a really long song that also is pretty hard(Exist). This also keeping in mind that I don't stress playing it exactly the same that much(I kinda like to leave space for my own little diddly does in a lot of solos)
Awesome answer man! Yeah the stage and exist are two really tough songs, hell, the entire album is tough! Definitely some of Syn’s best work!

Wouldnt it be great if we could all practice as much as we wanted?

Reactions: idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Awesome answer man! Yeah the stage and exist are two really tough songs, hell, the entire album is tough! Definitely some of Syn’s best work!

Wouldnt it be great if we could all practice as much as we wanted?
Haha yeah definitely!

The biggest problem from me is that when I get to the point of having time to practice I'm usually pretty mentally drained from studying all day so I just sit with my guitar noodling trying to find cool melodies/chords and make them.work together

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    5-6 at a time! Dang man! I need your multitasking skills😂

It was just a matter of necessity when I did the STP gig. I'd put 5-6 songs in their own playlist and listen to them over and over for a couple days, to get familiar with the feel and the changes. Then, as I learned each part (verse, chorus, etc), I'd make a chart of the arrangement - Intro 3x, verse 4x, chorus 2x, verse 4x, etc.

From there, I'd start playing all the songs along to the recording, making note of the parts of the song I didn't know what to play during, so I could go back and learn those parts for the next playthrough.

Once I had them down, I'd try to do them without the charts and see where I had issues. For some of the songs with REALLY messed up chords, I'd put up quick chord charts to follow, too, or the tab.

With that, I'd have each set of 5-6 ready enough for band practice in six days.

• Love
    Reactions: Jesse Salmons

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    It was just a matter of necessity when I did the STP gig. I'd put 5-6 songs in their own playlist and listen to them over and over for a couple days, to get familiar with the feel and the changes. Then, as I learned each part (verse, chorus, etc), I'd make a chart of the arrangement - Intro 3x, verse 4x, chorus 2x, verse 4x, etc.

From there, I'd start playing all the songs along to the recording, making note of the parts of the song I didn't know what to play during, so I could go back and learn those parts for the next playthrough.

Once I had them down, I'd try to do them without the charts and see where I had issues. For some of the songs with REALLY messed up chords, I'd put up quick chord charts to follow, too, or the tab.

With that, I'd have each set of 5-6 ready enough for band practice in six days.
    Dude im gonna have to try this method! Thats amazing.

All i do is listen to the songs over and over again and let my ear do most of my teaching. If it sounds right, it more than likely is! And then ill play along with the song to double check and of course pick up the little nuances. Of course if it has some parts with a lot going on, ill look up tabs and chord charts.

My favorite song i did this with was Saturday Night Special, and i somehow pulled off the solo on my first go ‘round just because i had heard the song so many times before and i knew the position Gary Rossington played it in. Of course i tried it again right after and failed miserably😂

Reactions: Ed Seith

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Do you guys ever have multiple songs you work on at any given time? I cant keep focused on one song at a time i have to have multiple things to keep me interested 😂 like ill practice a tough metal solo that im learning, then ill jump to a skynyrd song im trying to perfect, all while doing different techniques!

I’m always learning 2 to 4 songs at the same time, and different styles too. One can be punk, then some Classic P

I’m always learning like 2-4 songs, different stuff from punk or metal to rock classics or a classic piece on Spanish guitar. Specially when one of them is difficult, I overcome my frustration learning something a lot easier, otherwise it’s too bad for my self esteem 😂

Reactions: Serge-Jean

Jesse Salmons

Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    I’m always learning 2 to 4 songs at the same time, and different styles too. One can be punk, then some Classic P

I’m always learning like 2-4 songs, different stuff from punk or metal to rock classics or a classic piece on Spanish guitar. Specially when one of them is difficult, I overcome my frustration learning something a lot easier, otherwise it’s too bad for my self esteem 😂
    Yes! Easy songs for the win 😂

Reactions: Mariler

Serge-Jean

Dec 19, 2019
    Canada

Haha ! It is quite the opposite for me. I learn 2 to 3 difficult songs at the same time because the challenge is what I need to keep me going. Like right now, I'm learning the songs "Concerning Hobbits" and "Slopes of Blessure"... oh man, those pinch harmonics are killing me.

Reactions: Mariler

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Haha ! It is quite the opposite for me. I learn 2 to 3 difficult songs at the same time because the challenge is what I need to keep me going. Like right now, I'm learning the songs "Concerning Hobbits" and "Slopes of Blessure"... oh man, those pinch harmonics are killing me.
    OMG I have never tried pinch harmonics so far, I think I should increase my tolerance for frustration before 🤣

Reactions: Serge-Jean