• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

how to play syn gates solos ?

aditya krishna

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
hey guys,
I’ve been playing the guitar for 4 years now and I have an Ibanez RG series guitar. For years I’ve aspired to play the solos for a7x songs like MIA and afterlife etc. but have never been able to.
was wondering if you guys could give me tips to become faster and on how to learn and play these solos.
thank you 🙂
also, suggest a few solos to progress towards a7x solos if you can.

Reactions: _Syeva_

Vasrely Derian

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
You wanna learn how to play fast?.. here’s a secret nobody knows about. Play sloooow to a metronome. Start with a comfortable speed and build up as you go. This is not an “over night” trick, there is no shortcut. You have to get there with hardwork.
Goodluck m8!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
they say about 30-40 hours of repetition is all it takes to get something down pat with the human brain. Soo, ideally, you’d have to play that same lick or solo 2 days straight or 2 months a hour or two a day.. etc. But realistically, it will take you a long time to develop the muscles, and then the memory to go with that. Just dont give up.

Synner Endless Summer Collection
J

Jak Angelescu

I may be the odd one out, but if you’ve only been playing guitar for four years you may want to check some things first with your ambition so you don’t get frustrated on yourself and give up. I hate to say it but, a reality check, if you will.
MIA was written after Syn had been playing guitar for roughly ten years, give or take. Afterlife roughly twelve. You’ve been playing for four. Also, please remember this: Syn had a LOT of training before he wrote those solos. We’re talking about a guy who learned techniques, scales and theories and took them VERY seriously from the start from well-renowned sources. So unfortunately, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it’s going to take you some preparation first before you can tackle these solos properly.
Your situation reminds me of when I heard ‘Eruption’ by Eddie Van Halen and I immediately tried to learn it after only playing lead for a year. Here I was hunched over sheet music for hours on end for a year straight and I couldn’t figure out how to make ANYTHING work. Why? He was doing techniques I didn’t know how to do properly and scale positions I wasn’t aware of that had I BEEN trained with these things, it would have made my life a hell of a lot easier.
Now maybe you DO know all the things that it takes to learn and play those solos. I shouldn’t discredit what you know and what you don’t know. But those solos are really intense and very fast and grueling. So before you jump right into a pool of disappointment and you don’t think you’re good enough, I’d strongly encourage you to really dissect the solos FIRST and see what kind of techniques and scales you should learn. I can also tell you this, if you want to learn ANY Synyster Gates solo, get proficient with chromatic scales because he uses them a LOT.
If you make sure you have the proper techniques down, it’ll make your journey of learning these solos a lot easier. Another example was with me on the Hail To The King solo. I’ve been working on that solo for two years and got stuck in a rut on a spot. It wasn’t until I actually watched him live a lot and noticed he was doing economy picking that I decided to change from alternate to economy. After practicing it this way for only a few hours my speed and accuracy went through the roof!
My final advice would be this: Take the advice of everyone else above as far as ACTION goes. Use the metronome, start off slow, take it section by section, etc. But also be kind to yourself. Make sure you know what you’re doing so you don’t overwhelm yourself and make it harder than it has to be. And because of the time gap between you and Syn of how long he was playing before he wrote those solos, give yourself time. Start off slow and let it STAY slow for months. Let yourself get the technique RIGHT with good vibratos and timing. I love it when people are ambitious, but make sure you prep yourself before the huge task so you don’t wind up in a pool of discouragement. You can do anything if you’re patient and you put the correct practice and time in. As far as solos to learn go to build up to these solos, don’t limit yourself to Avenged Sevenfold covers because most of them are pretty challenging. You have levels of ‘easy’ to then ‘holy fuck insane guitar God’ level. There’s not a whole lot of in between. But I would suggest Nightmare, Hail To The King and This Means War for some challenging builders. Good luck!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I didn’t play with a metronome for about, the first 7 years of playing. Made more progression the last 3 years then any of the first 7 combined, and I literally didn’t change nothing but the metronome. Dont make the same mistake as me.

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Honestly mate, the stuff syn plays is lightening fast, the one thing I can say, and this applies to everything on guitar, don’t be disheartened. It may seem like its far off but that is because playing guitar is like a locked chest, you cant go up to it and open it without the key and the key is practice.
    Start of slow and focus on the technique and really get an understanding for what it is you are actually doing and then it will get easier from there.
    Hope this helps! \m/

aditya krishna

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hey so can one of you run over all the techniques I need to cover and master before I can learn these solos ?
    I’m practising economy picking and sweep picking rn and I know most of my scales ( tho not all the extended ones ) , I’m currently learning the modes as well , so what else should I cover and learn to help me progress towards playing syns solos ( technique wise) 🙈

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    The list I can think of is
    Alternate picking
    Sweeping
    Tapping
    Legato
    Economy picking
    Pinch harmonics
    Bending
    String skipping
    I am not sure what level you are at with your playing so I tried to cover all bases and some were thrown in as techniques that are good to know when playing other songs.
    Hope this helps \m/

Synner Endless Summer Collection

ethan jordan

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    i think learning to play them is just the repetition. i have only been playing guitar for a year and i am better than i thought i would be after a year. i can play a few different solos from songs like nightmare, afterife, beast and the harlot, hail to the king, so far away, and a few other ones. just start out playing them slower than they are and then increase speed slowly. i usually start at half of the speed and do the notes 10 times then i increase the speed by a few bpm and i could learn a solo in a few hours along with most of the song.