• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I need help about scales.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Okay, so I took the time and try it for myself. Dorian is the second degree of C, so we're starting on E. I took th 7th fret, second string.
    The second degree starts with ZX. If we continue this pattern we get ZXXYY, but when we shift from X to Y rules 1 and 2 apply so we have to shift the shape up two frets.
    Now the pattern I created this way falls in line with the C major scale we know and love. If I didn't make a mistake the rules seem to apply to 100%

MuhammetÜnal

Free Bird Player
    Jul 5, 2020
    Türkiye
    www.instagram.com
    Okay, so I took the time and try it for myself. Dorian is the second degree of C, so we're starting on E. I took th 7th fret, second string.
    The second degree starts with ZX. If we continue this pattern we get ZXXYY, but when we shift from X to Y rules 1 and 2 apply so we have to shift the shape up two frets.
    Now the pattern I created this way falls in line with the C major scale we know and love. If I didn't make a mistake the rules seem to apply to 100%
    efefe.png

this is c dorion mode right?Where is pattern2 ?I couldnt see.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Cool more clarity :D I think the Grand scale is like the CAGED system somehow
    The patterns looked like the 7 Major scale positions
    I'm going to try to practice the 6th one more often to try to get the Minor sound
    I think the 2nd pattern is the Dorian mode but it's just a guess at the moment
    So probably find any C on the fretboard and play notes from that pattern
    Guessing

juiceellish

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Awesome!Thank you so much!This video is really helpful.But i have one more question, first 7 note is okey but we need to down to first string how we can ?
    Each scale mode has a shape (pattern). Pattern 1 in is Ionian (Major). Pattern 2 is Dorian. Pattern 3 is Phrygian. Pattern 4 is Lydian. Pattern 5 is Mixolydian. Pattern 6 is Aeolian (Minor). Pattern 7 is Locrian. You pick a shape to learn or mess around with and you can play whichever pattern you chose from the 6th string to the 1st string and vice versa. Just don’t think too much about it, those patterns are your key to success. I also recommend finding a different video online about scales lol.

Each scale mode has a shape (pattern). Pattern 1 in is Ionian (Major). Pattern 2 is Dorian. Pattern 3 is Phrygian. Pattern 4 is Lydian. Pattern 5 is Mixolydian. Pattern 6 is Aeolian (Minor). Pattern 7 is Locrian. You pick a shape to learn or mess around with and you can play whichever pattern you chose from the 6th string to the 1st string and vice versa. Just don’t think too much about it, those patterns are your key to success. I also recommend finding a different video online about scales lol.
    this video is wrong ?

juiceellish

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    im open to new ideas you can send video or channel for scales.it really help me
    There’s an abundance of sources out there on the internet that everyone can learn from. If something is confusing up front, find a different source and see how it explains that same thing you’re researching. You want to use a handful of sources and cross-reference them in order to really understand something. That works for me, anyway. Good luck!

Reactions: MuhammetÜnal
    There’s an abundance of sources out there on the internet that everyone can learn from. If something is confusing up front, find a different source and see how it explains that same thing you’re researching. You want to use a handful of sources and cross-reference them in order to really understand something. That works for me, anyway. Good luck!
    okey thank you

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Not wrong but not good to learn from. Very confusing to beginners.
    Just had a short watch and I second this opinion.

When you're exploring Modes, it's best to keep things simple as much as possible - and the Topic really isn't actually as complicated as people enjoy making it 👌

If you want to play/understand the C Dorian Mode, it's good to first know which Major Scale it comes from & which Mode of that Major Scale it is.
    Dorian is always the 2nd mode of any Major scale (I.e the scale that you get when you start its Major scale from the 2nd note in)
    The Major Scale you'll want to know is Bb Major, as it's second note is C. The scale pattern you shared above is what you'll want to use as all the blackened notes are your C Root note for your Dorian Mode.
    One other useful thing to do of you want to get the most out of the Mode is to understand its 'character tones' - these are basically notes that if you play in sequence, give off the 'sound' of Dorian.
    For me, I always think of the; Root, 3rd, 6th & b7- or the 1st, 3rd, 6th & 7th notes of the scale. The 6th is the most important character tone, as this is what makes the scale Dorian versus just Natural Minor (that scale would have a b6).
    The next thing you'll want to do - this is what will really solidify the Mode in your hands & ears - is to go to Youtube & search 'C Dorian Backing Track'. Play along to as many as you can, while trying to target that 6th note character tone and all the rest, to get your ears used to the sound 😊 Just enjoy creating in the Mode at this point and let your ears help you take in it's character.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions feel free to DM me 🤟