• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I need help about scales.

Just had a short watch and I second this opinion.

When you're exploring Modes, it's best to keep things simple as much as possible - and the Topic really isn't actually as complicated as people enjoy making it 👌

If you want to play/understand the C Dorian Mode, it's good to first know which Major Scale it comes from & which Mode of that Major Scale it is.
Dorian is always the 2nd mode of any Major scale (I.e the scale that you get when you start its Major scale from the 2nd note in)
The Major Scale you'll want to know is Bb Major, as it's second note is C. The scale pattern you shared above is what you'll want to use as all the blackened notes are your C Root note for your Dorian Mode.
One other useful thing to do of you want to get the most out of the Mode is to understand its 'character tones' - these are basically notes that if you play in sequence, give off the 'sound' of Dorian.
For me, I always think of the; Root, 3rd, 6th & b7- or the 1st, 3rd, 6th & 7th notes of the scale. The 6th is the most important character tone, as this is what makes the scale Dorian versus just Natural Minor (that scale would have a b6).
The next thing you'll want to do - this is what will really solidify the Mode in your hands & ears - is to go to Youtube & search 'C Dorian Backing Track'. Play along to as many as you can, while trying to target that 6th note character tone and all the rest, to get your ears used to the sound 😊 Just enjoy creating in the Mode at this point and let your ears help you take in it's character.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions feel free to DM me 🤟
thank you so much!its really helpful

Riff36

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Jan 2, 2022
    🇸🇬 Singapore 🇸🇬
    thank you so much!its really helpful

Scales is a structure derived from the Appregio or triad to make over Chords with 5 positions on the fret. There are no rules on where u want to start ur scales degree from... as long as you know the scales degree notes of the scales and the "Target notes" or "leading tone"over the chords or related chords ("Relative Minor" or the "6th degree" of the scales notes are before the cnord progression changes). Just remember every degree of the scales u start do hv a unique Sounding and Charater and that is called "Modes".

Example - C or Root note = Ionian (1st degree of C Scales) and if you start from the 2nd degree of the scales of C it will be - C (Dorian) because you are starting ur 1st note in D rather than C which is the 2nd degree of C.

And so on and so forth buddy. ☺️

Dont be confused between scales and modes. Scales are sequence of note from the Root note of your starting point and ending point. They have 5 Postions across the fretboard. Even Harmony, Natural, Chromatic Pentatonic Scales are just Scales. But "MODES" are whats inside those scales with 7 charactheristic sounding individually to give you a sense of what type of emotions u r giving to it or wnat i like to call it as mood. (Happy,Sad,Mysterious and etc...)

Here are the Modes inside the Scales using the Degree of the Scales.

SCALES -

C = Do (1)

D = Re (2)

E = Mi (3)

F = Fa (4)

G = So (5)

A = La (6)

B = Ti (7)

C = Do (8)

MODES -

C = Ionian (1st Degree or "The Root Note of the Scale")

D = Dorian (2nd Degree)

E = Phrygian (3rd Degree)

F = Lydian (4th Degree)

G = Mixlodyian (5th Degree)

A = Aeolian (6 Degree)

B = Locrian (7 Degree)

As of sweeping, 3 notes per string, double stop, double stop skipping, legato and etc, thats just some embelishment, creativity or accent you might want to fit in to make the melody nicer rather than going "Do re mi fa so la ti do" up and down.

Hope my explanation my help u in a way buddy! ☺️🐰🐇🐇🐇🐰🤘✊

Scales is a structure derived from the Appregio or triad to make over Chords with 5 positions on the fret. There are no rules on where u want to start ur scales degree from... as long as you know the scales degree notes of the scales and the "Target notes" or "leading tone"over the chords or related chords ("Relative Minor" or the "6th degree" of the scales notes are before the cnord progression changes). Just remember every degree of the scales u start do hv a unique Sounding and Charater and that is called "Modes".

Example - C or Root note = Ionian (1st degree of C Scales) and if you start from the 2nd degree of the scales of C it will be - C (Dorian) because you are starting ur 1st note in D rather than C which is the 2nd degree of C.

And so on and so forth buddy. ☺️

Dont be confused between scales and modes. Scales are sequence of note from the Root note of your starting point and ending point. They have 5 Postions across the fretboard. Even Harmony, Natural, Chromatic Pentatonic Scales are just Scales. But "MODES" are whats inside those scales with 7 charactheristic sounding individually to give you a sense of what type of emotions u r giving to it or wnat i like to call it as mood. (Happy,Sad,Mysterious and etc...)

Here are the Modes inside the Scales using the Degree of the Scales.

SCALES -

C = Do (1)

D = Re (2)

E = Mi (3)

F = Fa (4)

G = So (5)

A = La (6)

B = Ti (7)

C = Do (8)

MODES -

C = Ionian (1st Degree or "The Root Note of the Scale")

D = Dorian (2nd Degree)

E = Phrygian (3rd Degree)

F = Lydian (4th Degree)

G = Mixlodyian (5th Degree)

A = Aeolian (6 Degree)

B = Locrian (7 Degree)

As of sweeping, 3 notes per string, double stop, double stop skipping, legato and etc, thats just some embelishment, creativity or accent you might want to fit in to make the melody nicer rather than going "Do re mi fa so la ti do" up and down.

Hope my explanation my help u in a way buddy! ☺️🐰🐇🐇🐇🐰🤘✊
    im confused but thank you anyway 😥

Synner Endless Summer Collection