• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Just For Fun – Six Magic Notes For Soloing – Lesson 10

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hey there. I tried to Play around with it and tried to play a little solo using the six magic notes. But I found it really awkward to always land on the same Note.
    So my question is, should you always try to end your phrases on that key note or should you 'only' end your solo on that note?

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    You could play up an octave and hit the same note. I do this a lot. Its 6 notes so the pattern repeats quite often in different areas on the fret board go exploring and find those spots. You may find one area more comfortable then the other. You'll also realize how close the same notes are on the fretboard you can repeat the lick up the fretboard without really loving your hands at all. Or you could go over 12 frets and get even more in one area. So much you can do with 6 notes.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    thats the thing tho dominik. They are the exact same notes.. just played up and down an octave. the pattern never changes so although you can think of it as "cheating" I dont see it that way. The first thing I do with any lesson here, is I usually mapp out the tabs of the lesson. So these 6 notes I have tabbed out all over the fret board.

5 7
    5 7
    5 7

is the same as

10 12
    10 12
    10 12

and then you can continue the pattern into

13 15
    13 15
    12 14

you're right, with 6 notes there is limited things you can do. you could add hammer on and pull offs but thats pretty much it. If you actually stretch it out over the fret board though youre freedom expands so much more. You could play the run starting on 10 in the 2nd example and go up all the way up the strings and go through 2 octaves. But, if you dont want to push it that far i can understand that. But for me, like I said, I mapp the entire fretboard out. So I have all the magic notes down.
    once you map it all out, you can see every position you want. You could start out in one spot, or move it to another and play the same thing to see if it sounds better in that spot.. etc. It can sound more complicated then you want it to be, but once its mapped out, the patterns get easy to see. I do things very different then most people do here tho. my booklet is full of scales like this. all just numbers.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    That's fair. I'll just respond this way then.

My latest drum track improv includes only 2 positions of gminor arpeggios. So that's what.. 7 notes? I was able to make a track using those 7 notes. And yours are 3 strings compared to mine on all 6. I think you just need to make a like.. bass riff. One you repeat through the video.. and then just change up the ending or beginning every rep. The small change is what makes the riff. End going up.. then down. Add some steppers in there. Slide up instead of down. Lots in there to change up the flow. Just get creative. You can even add a pinch in there to spice it up.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Well ever solo ideally starts with a riff or melody. Do in order to get started youd probably need to make up something simple that you can follow but slightly change it up as you go. It's hard to explain but if you watch mylatest video you may get what I'm trying to say. Even with improvs.. you want to start off SOMETHING. That's what I'm saying is your bass riff.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Hey there. I tried to Play around with it and tried to play a little solo using the six magic notes. But I found it really awkward to always land on the same Note.
    So my question is, should you always try to end your phrases on that key note or should you 'only' end your solo on that note?
    It's really all about the chord you're playing over. Each chord has a set of notes that will work over it. Chord tones( notes in the chord) are the safe bet because those notes are in the chord, usually 1 3 5 Than you can always end on the fourth because you can't really go wrong with that one. Then there's the option to create a little tension by using the second, sixth or seventh. I think John Mayer throws in the seventh every once in a while. So no you don't have to end on the same note every time, just make sure it's the right note.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Thanks Ids! I get that part with the notes in the chord. But what you mean with the second, sixth and seventh still goes a little over my head I think.
    the second, sixth and seventh can make up chords(gypsy jazz, jazz etc), usually combined with the 1, 3 and 5. So harmonically they sound alright together. However they aren't really the smoothest sounding chords so using those as your ending note when you're playing over a 1-3-5 chord and not a 1-3-5-7 chord for example can sound really cool but also has a certain tension to it so it can grab a listeners attention. It's definetely a choice to use it and you should be wary to not use it to much but it is something to consider every once in a while.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Are you referring to the notes in the scale you use over your chord? I have close to 0 understanding when it comes to theory so it is still a little confusing to me.
    I'm referring to the intervals with respect to the root of the chord you're playing over. Seventh would be the minor or major seventh etc. For example playing a B note over a C chord

Reactions: SynStudier

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    Dude, don't try to always have to end on the key note, you can end of all notes of the scale. Like PG said, ones sound better than others, you really have to hear. I usually when I'm jamming, before playing the phrase, I already know what I'm going to play and how it's going to sound, so it's easier. You have a lot of notes that you can play.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Reactions: CK! and idssdi