• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Metronome Help!

Joey C

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
What’s up guys?
Okay, so I feel dumb as hell for saying this, but I need to swallow my ego and ask.
How do you use a metronome? Lol
Like I have sat down to try and use one but it makes me feel absolutely stupid. I dont understand how many notes im trying to fit in between each click. I know I can hit a note per click but that’s generally not how you’re supposed to use when trying to build a sense of speed and rhythm. If someone can give me a run down of how many notes per click and all that good stuff, it would be greatly appreciated. I have watched videos on it but I don’t know if I’m just stupid or what but I just can’t get it down. God I feel dumb asking it but that’s what this forum is for I suppose.
So, thank you all!

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
The amount of notes per click depends on the duration of the note:
-A whole note is 1 note per 4 clicks
-a half note is 1 note per 2 clicks
-A quarter note is 1 note per click
-an eight note is 2 notes per click
-a sixteenth note is 4 notes per click
– a 32nd note is 8 notes per click
I’m not gonna go into triplets now. First start with the basics. If you’re having trouble with it you can also put an accent on 2 and 4 in the metronome because that’s usually where a drummer would put accents too.

J

Jak Angelescu

this was just done really quick after I got out of the shower. I go into what metronome I use, HOW to navigate it, and more. Hopefully I answered your guys’ questions. Let me know if there’s something else I can help with.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Joey C

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Oh hell yea!!
That helped pretty well!
Imma have to keep coming back to it and keep watching it but I think I’m going to have to sit down with someone eventually to really grasp it so that I can get corrections and all that good stuff. But your video really helped !
Thanks!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
a metronome just counts your beats. If you want a certain beats per minute just think about the math for a second and set the metronome up. Id’s basically set it up pretty basic. The idea is you get your muscles used to the beat.. and eventually when you are higher up in beats you’ll be counting 4 beats as 1. or 3.. etc. THat’s how you’ll learn to play the triplets and whatnot. I usually stick around 180bpm. You can count some pretty simple rhythms to that beat. Obviously when learning licks and songs you wanna slow it down to train yourself but thats my usual jam pace.