• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Picking Questions + Progress

I decided to focus on my picking which was all over the place. Started with the Alternate Picking lessons and after about 3-4 weeks of dedicated practice I am noticing results.:) My picking is cleaner and more accurate. I plan to continue with Alternate until it’s solid before I move on to other styles. My questions are, how do I know when to use alternate picking and when to use economy?
Does alternate picking always follow a pattern of eighth notes? For example, even if I am articulating a dotted half note (3 counts) starting with a downstroke would the next note be a downstroke as well given the next note falls on the 4th beat of the bar? As opposed to an upstroke.
Here is me playing Lesson 40 Exercise 1 ten days apart.
May 23

May 13

I will be sharing Exercise 2 progress in the next few days! 🙂

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Ooh I completely forgot I was going to make a lesson on picking for you😅
Basically, economy picking only works when there’s an odd number of notes per string(usually one or three) In all the other instances alternate picking really is the way to go.

Synner Endless Summer Collection