• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Problems electronics

Jonas Tant

New Student
Apr 30, 2023
So I recently disovert some problems with my schecter synyster custom-s. The first problem being that I get microphonic feedback from my bridge pickup. I thought it was the pickup but a couple of days later my sustainiac also started to sound microphonic. My pickup selector also does some weird things where it seems like my bridge pickup sounds very quiet. It made me think that it might not be the pickups but maybe something else.
Anyone who can help me out with this problem?

Reactions: stypan1

Jonas Tant

New Student
Apr 30, 2023
I think it might be the switch, my standard does the same thing. When I'm in the bridge pickup sometimes it sounds very quite, then when I switch from my neck to the bridge pickup quickly it goes back to being loud.
I changed my switch and now its much better, but both my pickups still sound microphonic. I think I might take it to a professional. Both pickups being like that is weird because the neck pickup is a sustainiac.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jonas Tant

New Student
Apr 30, 2023
can you record audio to make sure it's microphonic feedback and not normal feedback?

does it happen if move in position or rotation somewhere else?

or maybe you left the sustainiac on without noticing :whistle:
Yeah I already checked those things. I'm also sure it's microphonic feedback because it also happens on really low volume. Unlike normal feedback it's something I can't control. You know you also can't use the neck pickup when sustainiac is on that way I'm sure it was off.

Reactions: Apocalyptic Katana

Bellah83

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Fort Worth Tx
I changed my switch and now its much better, but both my pickups still sound microphonic. I think I might take it to a professional. Both pickups being like that is weird because the neck pickup is a sustainiac.
I have this issue with mine as well. In live, high gain situations. Adding a noise gate and getting far away from your speaker will help.

You can also open the back of the guitar and dial back the volume and gain for the sustainiac pickup. But it will weaken the tone.

Bellah83

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Fort Worth Tx
I have this issue with mine as well. In live, high gain situations. Adding a noise gate and getting far away from your speaker will help.

You can also open the back of the guitar and dial back the volume and gain for the sustainiac pickup. But it will weaken the tone.
I just recalled, I did have to have a syn gates bridge pickup exchanged for being microphonic too. So, I'm kind of addressing separate issues. If it's microphonic, it's probably the bridge pickup as it's set it wax. And repouring the wax can solve this.

Reproduce the sound and touch the bridge pickup cover with your finger. If it's microphonic, it should stop vibration and producing the noise when dampened by your finger.

Jonas Tant

New Student
Apr 30, 2023

Yeah, I usually lower my master tone and then it's better but it's still something very annoying.

Jonas Tant

New Student
Apr 30, 2023
I just recalled, I did have to have a syn gates bridge pickup exchanged for being microphonic too. So, I'm kind of addressing separate issues. If it's microphonic, it's probably the bridge pickup as it's set it wax. And repouring the wax can solve this.

Reproduce the sound and touch the bridge pickup cover with your finger. If it's microphonic, it should stop vibration and producing the noise when dampened by your finger.
Yeah I already thought it was some kind of problem. Anyways I am taking it to a professional to get it checked.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Hi gain and high volume will ALWAYS make for microphonic feedback. After all, a pickup IS a microphone, albeit a very specialized one (and yes, on high gain if you scream into the pickup, it WILL come through your amp)

Anyone anytime in a high volume high gain situation needs to be a master of their volume - either the knob or a volume pedal. A noise gate CAN work, but if you make it aggressive enough that it kicks in just for "not playing," it will affect your tone. I always set my noise get to kick on when my guitar volume is exactly off, because then you don't get the gain hiss, either.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jonas Tant

New Student
    Apr 30, 2023
    Hi gain and high volume will ALWAYS make for microphonic feedback. After all, a pickup IS a microphone, albeit a very specialized one (and yes, on high gain if you scream into the pickup, it WILL come through your amp)

Anyone anytime in a high volume high gain situation needs to be a master of their volume - either the knob or a volume pedal. A noise gate CAN work, but if you make it aggressive enough that it kicks in just for "not playing," it will affect your tone. I always set my noise get to kick on when my guitar volume is exactly off, because then you don't get the gain hiss, either.
    True, on stage it doesn't bother me that much. But when i'm at home practising on much lower volumes, it can be really anoying. So i'll keep that in mind.