• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Quick question about TABS and sheet music.

Zach Leydig

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Is it important to memorize all the notes on the fret board and learn how to read sheet music while playing or does TAB do the job? In the studio is sheet music the go to while writing or is tablature what you get your ideas down onto then put it down in sheet music? I feel so conflicted because it is more comprehensive for me to learn a song in tabs for guitar but during my years playing trumpet in grade school learning music any other way other than sheet music was frowned upon. I guess what I’m trying to ask is do all great guitar players have the ability to pick up sheet music and just start playing without needing tab lmao.

G

I couldn’t speak for session or studio musicians, but im fairly certain in alot of cases you are presented with both if you buy the Hal Leonard books and what not. I dont think all the greats know theory, let alone sight reading! haha. It’s also important to learn the notes on the fretboard in general!
I think both have their pros and cons, its just whatever is suitable at the time. Definitely develop TAB reading though!

Ana Psuturi

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I think both works. Sometimes, when I’m working on some classical music piece -sheet music comes in handy, but for some rock n metal tabs are easier to find. Learning notes on the fretboard helps to understand how to make the chords and also gives you knowledge how the scales works. Also when you know sheet music it is easier to write or describe parts for example – pianist.

Tory Capman

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
You will definitely maximize your potential by having a solid understanding of both. You can become an amazing guitarist without either. But the best thing to help you grow is to play with other musicians, and that works best if you can all read the same type of music language.