• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Rate this tone out of 10

Hari Prasad

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hey! Can someone rate this guitar tone out of 10? What can I do to make it better? I intend to play thrash/heavy metal mostly.
Guitar Tone Audio
GEAR
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
D’Addario XL 10 set
Blackstar ID Core 40 V2
IK Multimedia Amplitube 4 (Mesa/Boogie Mark IV)
A bit of compression, EQ, distortion, reverb and delay is added to the tone.
PS. The riff I recorded is from Cirice by Ghost. It’s in D standard on the record, I’ve played it in E standard. Don’t mind that 😛
Thanks

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Sounds really good and polished.
    I’m not gonna rate it. Guitar tone is subjective, and really – all about the PLAYER.
    99% of non-guitarists think almost all guitar tones sound the same. So why do we chase tone? Because we’re looking for the sound that makes us play better – not physically better, but when we hit THAT TONE and it drives part of our inspiration.
    That’s why tone is a personal thing. That’s why people tell Steve Vai his tone sucks and he doesn’t care. Because he has the tone that makes him play the way he wants to play. And that’s why everyone is always tweaking their tone – because every day we wake up, we’re slightly different people than we were the day before, and over time that difference grows.
    Sure, I love it when people hear me play and tell me I have a great tone that they love. But I didn’t dial it in for them. I dial it in to inspire myself.
    You should too.
    It sounds killer, but more important is how it FEELS to you!