• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Seize the day solo questions

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
So I’m almost able to play the whole solo. I was wondering which pick up you guys use to play it. I personally think it sounds better using the neck pickup, but in certain spots of the solo the bridge pickup sounds better. It sounds like Syn uses the neck pickup to play it. And finally I can’t get the pinch harmonic to sound at all. (B string 11th fret). Suggestions?

Tory Capman

One Stringer
Nov 11, 2019
I definitely use the neck pickup. And I’ll have to play it when I go home but I think the harmonic at the end of the solo is at 10 on the g-string. When I was taught how to play pinch harmonics, I was told that if you imagine an entire fretboard between the end of the actual fretboard and where the strings go into the body, the pinch harmonic is easier to achieve wherever that fret would be on the imaginary fretboard. If that makes sense. I feel like it might be complicated so just tell me if it is haha

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
yeah definitely neck pickup for most of the solo, anyways you should check for eq settings to have more treble or change to bridge pickup before you hit the A.H, it would be easier if you hammer on/pull off the notes right before that A.H while you’re changing to bridge pickup, it’s how i do it

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
What I have seen some people do is, play almost the entire solo with neck pickup ( better if you have a mid pickup, then combine it with neck one). Just before the pinch harmonic, when you get a fraction of second breather, switch to the bridge one and make it scream, sounds so sweet. I have learnt it recently and find it useful.

Ron Sharma

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
India
I think syn had a sustainiac in the neck position at that time. So he played the solo with the bridge position invader. Also the pinch harmonic is pretty easy to nail if you know just where to pinch. Also keep the gain little high and the treble too.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
It’s definitely played at the 10th fret of the G string, and the whole solo is played on the neck pickup, although the harmonic could have been overdubbed.
As for finding pinch harmonics, try moving the position of your picking hand around and try picking on different parts of the string. A lot of people dont know this, but harmonic happen a very specific divisions of the length of the string. Everyone knows the 5th, 7th, and 12th fret natural harmonics. If you get a tape measure and measure the string, those notes happen at 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 of the string. This is also why you can hold down the 1st fret and get a harmonic from the 13th fret. The same thing goes for the intervals as well like major 3rds or perfect 5ths. Heres an in depth wikipedia article about this concept, I recommend checking it out!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_mathematics