• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Solo to learn?

Kris Crocker

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hi! My names Kris, I’m a really big fan of Avenged Sevenfold and want to learn a new solo for my birthday (3/13/19). I’m not too good at guitar I just want to learn something new for my birthday. I’ve learned the solo for So Far Away, I’ve learned the first part of the Buried Alive Solo (The part before the sweeping) and I’ve learned the second slow solo in MIA. I want to challenge myself since I just turned 17 to learn another but don’t know what else to start on that’s around my skill level. Anyways, thanks for reading. Hope all of you have a fantastic day 🙂

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Mohamad Zahwi

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Judging by the solos you’ve stated you have learned, I would guess that you’re not really comfortable playing anything fast.
I would recommend a solo that has maybe just a lick or two that may be fast for you. The main solo from Carry On is the easiest thing I can think of. Alternate picking (don’t sweep pick those) the arpeggios may be a bit tricky at first but if you metronome it you’ll have it in a week or two perfectly. The solo from Doing Time may also do the job so definitely check that out. Something a bit harder than that would be Natural Born Killer. Spend most of your time practicing any of these last two, working on the fast licks.
You could alternatively pick a solo that has quite many licks that are difficult for you and work on each lick individually over the course of a couple of months while at the same time working on easier solos. I would recommend Almost Easy or The Beast And The Harlot.
Make sure to get accurate tabs.

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
After reading this topic i decided to try solo of Warmness On The Soul, after 1 day practising I think i’m doing pretty ok, it’s not a very fast solo, which i have trouble with. I read you like slow solo’s, so maybe it’s a solo you can try

Jakub Holos

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Judging by the solos you’ve stated you have learned, I would guess that you’re not really comfortable playing anything fast.
I would recommend a solo that has maybe just a lick or two that may be fast for you. The main solo from Carry On is the easiest thing I can think of. Alternate picking (don’t sweep pick those) the arpeggios may be a bit tricky at first but if you metronome it you’ll have it in a week or two perfectly. The solo from Doing Time may also do the job so definitely check that out. Something a bit harder than that would be Natural Born Killer. Spend most of your time practicing any of these last two, working on the fast licks.
You could alternatively pick a solo that has quite many licks that are difficult for you and work on each lick individually over the course of a couple of months while at the same time working on easier solos. I would recommend Almost Easy or The Beast And The Harlot.
Make sure to get accurate tabs.
Carry On is a really tough one imo if you play it like Syn - he plays 3-string arpeggios and uses alternate picking for it. I've seen covers on YouTube but everyone plays the easy way which is just using 2 strings and pull-offs

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Carry On is a really tough one imo if you play it like Syn - he plays 3-string arpeggios and uses alternate picking for it. I've seen covers on YouTube but everyone plays the easy way which is just using 2 strings and pull-offs
Tbh, it's harmonized so you can pick the 2 string part just fine because it harmonized the 3 string one.

Reactions: Jakub Holos