• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Some Thoughts I'd Like To Share

J

Jak Angelescu

Hello fellow students...

First I'd like to say that I'm saying this as a fellow student, not an admin. So please don't think I'm going on a tirade or being bossy and telling everyone what to do, how to act or what to say. I'm saying this as a student, and my experience with this site.

I've had some exchanges with some students about the community aspect of this site. As an admin and the mother of this school, I tried so hard to get students to focus more on the lessons of this site. No matter how hard I tried, I feel like I failed at that endeavor. And that's fine. The focus was always, and for some reason still will always be, on the community side. And that's fine too. As Syn says himself, "Use this site however it best helps you."

However, on Instagram some private group chats have formed. I advised against this as an admin from happening because I knew it would cause future issues. But I couldn't tell anyone what to do.

Some people have opinions on this site. And that's great. What's NOT great, is voicing your opinion and then demonizing others for sharing theirs when they don't agree with you or even shutting them down before they can voice it. Calling fellow students "entitled", "stupid", and other horrible things I've seen, is never called for. I have had students sharing their sadness about the community of this site and how "cliquey" and "high school" it's become in some aspects due to favoritism and off-site chats on Instagram. It's leading to many students not knowing where they fit in here, or if they even belong here.

I was practically here from the very beginning. And I've busted my ass off to make this place as good as I could during my reign here. Needless to say, some things that have been said about me fucking hurt. And they hurt... BADLY. Especially when I thought these people were my friends. I've never said anything mean or degrading about them, even when I was angry at them. If I was, I always said it to their faces.

Bottom line is that students are talking about other students behind their backs. They're belittling them for not agreeing with them. They're commenting on other's riffs and ignoring someone else. Favorites are being shown. And some students have openly admitted to "testing people" just to see how far they can take their boundaries.

I'm no longer an admin so I don't have to worry about saving face when I say "fuck that concept". It's bullshit bullying and it's rude. I have witnessed bullying and ganging up on other students on this site. If I didn't see it, the situation was brought to my attention.

Yes I have had my opinions on other students. But I have told them my issues with them to their faces. And I've tried hard to resolve these issues. But these harsh Instagram chats have gotten the best of this site to where it's being shown as a "high school that's hard to fit into" and no longer an "awesome guitar site that where we are all welcomed."
When I had private messages on here telling me "I would have commented on that but I know it would have caused a whole shit storm so I kept my opinions to myself", that's not okay. The fact that students on this site feel they have to have zipper lips or they'll be tarred and feathered is not cool. That's not this site. That's not OUR school.

Also, people have made fun of me for offering Bill's private lessons to students on here (Not you Dominik. You always poke playful fun and never have called me the horrible names I've been called). When you all stop gossiping about bullshit in the Instagram chats and actually give advice (if you can) to those who need it on their riffs, maybe I'll stop doing that. When I stop having to counsel students about them being upset as to why no one corrected their mistakes and they now feel embarrassed, maybe I'll stop doing that.

Needless to say, you all are welcomed here.

If you're overweight, you're welcomed here.
If you have a terrible camera, you're welcomed here.
If you are republican, liberal, democrat, gay, straight, alien, cisgender whatever you are welcomed here.
All opinions are respected here.
We want to see you post your riffs.
If you have PTSD, are pro-gun, anti-abortion, have severe anxiety or whatever, you're welcomed here.

I will definitely be spending more time trying to give equal love here to everyone on the riffs because I have so much more to offer now. And I have more free time to do so since I stepped down.

Also, feel free to leave your thoughts below. I'm sure I'll end up in one of those nasty private Instagram chats in some way shape or form, and honestly I've lost the energy to care. If you say bad shit about me then that's on you and your conscious. I'm just trying to be a voice for those who have came to me feeling they don't deserve to have one here.

Much love and welcome to 2021. I hope we all like it here.

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
100% agreed! We want all love & positivity all-round. There's also too much going on out there - this might be the only place left for hope & positivity & hopefully we all get to feel the love, regardless where we come from & our beliefs.

Cheers!

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    That was a long read but I did it lol anyways I 100% agree! There is quite a bit of high school childish drama and I feel I can’t voice my opinions because people will come for me. But now I don’t care I’m gonna be heard! This school used to be my safe place and now it’s not at all! It hurts to say... the whole part where you said there are favourites is so true! I’m not naming names but they are more favourited people. I constantly feel like I’m not seen or no one cares that I’m trying. Also the whole Instagram chat thing kinda bugs me to be honest! It seems like a place to gossip about the school or to un include people. When I heard about these pages I wanted to join and it took awhile of being ignored to join. This is old but I also didn’t feel welcomed to the school when I joined, I was ignored and felt left out and sadly still do. Please people do me a favour and give love to the students who really need it!! I’ve been doing it and it feels amazing!

J

Jak Angelescu

Yes I agree. It breaks my heart to read this. Know that I'm rooting for you and hopefully we continue to keep building this awesome community and school.

J

Jak Angelescu

Even though it's super unfortunate and upsetting that stuff like that's happening here, I appreciate you bringing it to light, Jak. I'm not down with that high school drama bullshit, and I'll never understand people who are.
    Thanks so much for your thoughts. I agree with you so much. It's just gotten a lot lately. Love you girl!

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Well damn, this was sad to read. Thank you for bringing this up though Jak. I remember hearing about a group chat a few months ago and was curious about joining at first but ended up forgetting about it. I'm glad I didn't end up joining it. I see enough of this high school style drama where I live, where I went to school, and just way too much on other social media sites like Facebook. It's petty/pathetic and leads to nothing but more entitlement and issues. I hadn't witnessed much if any of it here or maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention to see it happening. I'm sorry you guys ended up as a target of it. That's wrong.

It's understandable why the forums/community section has become for most the mainstay of the site. The community has a few common interests. A7X, Synyster Gates, Guitar, and Metal Music. That covers a massive area of topics that can come up besides other topics that pop up outside of these realms. I will admit I go through periods where I probably spend more time than I should on the forums compared to the lessons.

I also definitely don't spend enough time checking out one of the most unique parts about the site. The Riff/Media section. Due to crappy internet speeds I tend to not browse through it since videos take a while to load and would count towards our data cap. As well as me not feeling like I know enough to really help someone by pointing out potentially bad habits when full well I have my own. I feel weird just leaving a "great job" comment since that really doesn't tend to help, but neither does critiquing someone's playing with potentially bad knowledge. I'll try and work on that this year.

This is old but I also didn’t feel welcomed to the school when I joined, I was ignored and felt left out and sadly still do.
    I'm so sorry to hear that. I know if it wasn't for the community seeming so welcoming when I first gained the courage to start commenting I probably wouldn't have used the site as much as I have, have it become one of the few sites I visit a few times a day. To hear that you didn't and still feel left out is disheartening. I won't say I've watched all of your uploads on the riff page, that I think you have played perfectly from the start, or that you've gone from a rookie to a hall of fame level player since you joined. That'd be blowing smoke up your ass and I'd feel wrong doing so. I remember reading/talking with you before you first uploaded on here. You were nervous about getting good camera angles, trying to perfect things in your playing, and not sure what to really try and show off. But once you uploaded something I could tell you were a beginner. That's not an insult. I'm just stating what I saw. But you had something that got driven to improve and to succeed. I could tell you were really trying to do well. It's very noticeable that you've improved from that first upload to your recent upload of the Bat Country rhythm cover. Your playing is better and you seem more confident in your playing and your uploads which is awesome to see. You've got a long ways to go until you're a shred god but if you keep up with what you're doing. I believe you can get to that level a lot of people would like to be at. The type of player other players look up to.

Jak, I have no idea why people are making fun of you for regularly bringing up Bill and his lessons. You've improved a lot thanks to him and his lessons. As well as your intuition to improve which you do your damnedest to instill into fellow students here. I'd be talking about what helped me metaphorically level up a few levels too especially if I had been playing as long as you have. You're making sure/helping people realize that one thing that can really help take you to a new level in your playing is working with a guitarist/musician/teacher that is better than you. That has all the more years of experience both good and bad to help you avoid making mistakes they made. Thank you for doing so!

I don't want to ramble on too much more but thank you for bringing this forth. It's sad to hear this bullshit made it here. Hopefully with time and hopefully some self reflection people will look to improve themselves and get rid of the toxic crap that permeates all through out social media. This is an awesome place with a ton of knowledge. Fucking use it for that instead of being a toxic asswipe.

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    You are beyond amazing! You have been there for me since I joined the school and I am beyond thankful for that!! You made me feel welcomed and very much loved!

Donovan Etue

• Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    You are beyond amazing! You have been there for me since I joined the school and I am beyond thankful for that!! You made me feel welcomed and very much loved!
    I'm happy you said that, I've tried to make new students and those who were putting themselves out there to feel as welcome as I could here in the forums especially. I know there have been periods where I've definitely slacked on that. I was nervous that I didn't try hard enough to make you feel welcomed, like an awesome individual here at/on the school.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I knew there were plenty of IG chats. I was surprised when I heard a little bit about how many. I’m only in one. There are a lot of members there, but only a few ever speak up. It’s mostly memes and joking around. I don’t really notice any significant negativity there, but that doesn’t mean some don’t perceive that. And again, there are a lot of chats I’m not a part of.

I think that sort of thing is just a natural offshoot of a community, and I don’t think we could stop that if we tried. In fact, I think Jak may have actually started some of them, but who can remember? I sure can’t.

Name calling and insults will not be tolerated, though some can mistake the good-natured ribbing of friends for that (like Dominik. Fuck that guy).

i do feel I may have misstepped a little the other day when praising Shadows for his op-Ed. As much as it was discussing an official position of a member of the band, politics is a touchy subject all around, and people can easily feel shunned or excluded, regardless of the position. I will be better about that, and will discuss with other leaders privately about what kind of steps we can and should take in that regard going forward. The bottom line is that such controversial subjects need not ever really be discussed in a place of inclusion. We need to figure out where to draw a hard line there, rather than leaving it up to people whether or not they “go there” and potentially face backlash.

thanks for bringing up the topic, Jak!

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I had mixed feelings reading everything, was typing stuff out and had already moved on. If someone thinks I could help them with guitar training exercises, I'm willing to try to help. From my experience so far, I'm learning to keep a calm demeanor. I'm probably not old enough to say this, but treat people how you want to be treated? If you got a conniving friend he/she is probably be the same way to you.
    Some are Pure Gold and some need to be Lead, I like Gallium, melts in your hand. Probably didn't make much sense, read we had metal in common and thought this sounded cool. I'm glad Gaea didn't blow up the other day, to me it felt like the year 2000 allover again. I remember this movie about Toxicity, there was this chant whisper in the dark " ch ch ch, ha ha ha, if you feed it, it will grow ". I think that's how it went, was a monster film. My attention span resets itself every few minutes, reading/writing long paragraphs is a challenge. If I practiced it more I'd get better at it, same goes for socializing and smiling. I remember getting punched a lot as a kid, sometimes by girls and sometimes by guys. Later I learned the girls punched me cause they may have liked me and the guys cause there was some jealousy/envy. I still get punched by guys even though the girls stopped punching me. Probably totally went off topic again, it's after noon so I guess I can try to translate my words into some good vibrations on my guitar. There's walking zombies and I feel like a walking offense. Not from anyone on this site or related, just in general. I feel dope when I get likes, I got one sad one and yeah
    I spent over an hour (re-)writing this, it's too long. Happy Days, we made it!

Please don't quote me, Thanks!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Reading this post, as well as the replies here is absolutely heart breaking. This should ALWAYS be a safe space for EVERYONE in the community. I understand not much can be done about off site chatting, but perhaps many didn't even realize what they were doing or saying was causing harm to their fellow students and SGS community. Hopefully your post @Jak Angelescu will make them a bit more aware of the hurt they are inadvertently causing.

I agree that we all could do more in making our fellow students heard and appreciated. I know @Kat the metalhead has felt this way for awhile, and I understand that feeling quite well. I felt the exact same way when I first started here and then a few wonderful individuals were more than welcoming and not only offering help but a little pat on the back to.

I know many students do not feel they know enough to give critiques, but....we can all give someone the encouragement they need to keep moving forward !

Also, I agree with @Ed Seith: there should be a very clear line about conversation topics which include politics or other sensitive subjects, as these are the types of conversations that can turn nasty fairly quickly.

Finally, WE are a FAMILY here ! No one should EVER feel excluded or as if something is talking behind their back. If you do not like someone, that is fine, but that doesn't mean you need to defile their name or spread hate.

Like mama always said, "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all "

beatrix

• Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    my god. i didn’t noticed none of this...i’m so sorry Jak, this is disgusting. i’m disappointed ...why do people have to judge? because they’re dissatisfied or they feel envious? all this must be over as soon as possible. we are all students, and we are all truly talented, no one excluded. and don’t care about these people Jak, you’re stronger and we are all here to support you, me first. much love.

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    So sad to hear about that, but it's important to bring it up. People shouldn't be so mean to each other.
    I don't have enough knowledge to give advice to people, but I'll try to spend more time here on the website, watching videos of the riffs and spreading love in the comment section. Everyone needs a little bit of motivation.
    And, if I ever said anything that offended anyone, in any way, I truly apologize.

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts Jak. I've not being here long enough maybe, because I can't say I noticed this.
    On my part, I always try to see as much as possible and give my comment, even just to spread positive vibes (because I don't think I have enough knowledge to actually give suggestions on palying).
    I hope things will get better now that this matter was brought to surface, and I hope that every student feel welcome and accepted here. Much love to everyone
    (And if any of you ever felt offended by something I said..first of all, I apologize...secondly, please tell me so I can better myself)