• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

struggling bending/vibrateo (with example video)

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Hi

Im trying to play solos that are not thay hard, but i am struggling with bending. Sometimes on high frets (like so far away solo) my strings go under my fingers and i have hard time to make it sound good, not false.
Something im not good at is vibrato, but these two things are so important for good sound, and now it sounds not good. But i want to learn to do it, so maybe some tips on how to get technique better?

First video is end of so far away, really struggling with bending on 15th and 17th fret, especially the higher strings
Second is an example of me playing smeels like teen spirit, it is an easy solo, but it doesnt sounds good as i play it :)

My great guitar goal is to play One by Metallica, whole song, i dont have to accomlish that in a year or so, but wanna play it one day :) So theres a long way to go for me
Playing chords or power chords song are ok for me, it is especially fingerstyle r solo, but i like that, so wanna get better

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I'm not really sure how to explain this but basically when you bend try to make sure that you don't fret the sting above it(when you want to bend the high E string don't press down on the B string). However, you want to press up the B string too without pressing it down. That's down by pressing it up without actually fretting it if that makes sense.

Vibrato really can take a long time to develop. There are multiple ways of doing it, for example circular, up and down. I think the first thing to look into is the way you want to do your vibrato.
I made these a while ago maybe they help too

Bellah83

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Fort Worth Tx
The first part of your bends sound pretty ok, I think the part you should work on is the release of the bend. Try to either release the bend faster or play a different note in place of the release.

Also, that problem with the strings catching your fingernail. We're taught to keep our fingers pointing straight down at the fretboard, but sometimes we miss the part where they teach you to turn your hand slightly and point your fingers more towards the bend. You'll adjust your hand for the bend and then bring it back to the normal position after the bend. The bending motion should come from your whole hand, rather than the finger you're using. Try just doing your bends with your ring finger for awhile, get in the habit of adjusting for the bend, and then returning to your natural position. When you use your ring finger, you can help strengthen the bend with your middle and index fingers. All three fingers bracing against the string then make the motion with your hand coming towards your face.

Your vibrato will also come from that hand motion, rather than wiggling your finger. Hopefully that all makes sense. :)

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Thank you both for tips how positioning fingers and moving my hand in a bend. Maybe i should try to do it more slowly, i practised that after your comments and when i do it slowly i dont hit the strings above them in a wrong way (most of time), maybe i want to go to fast.
The videos are a nice help for me, thanks

Indeed I do a vibrato by wiggling the finger, i will practise to do it more out of hand motion.

I have something to practise on, thanks guys

Reactions: Bellah83

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
You seem to be holding the pick very weird, when I bend up most of my palm is covering the other strings, because my hand is essentially flat on the other strings. You seem to be pushing your wrist out when you reach the higher strings, because you don't want to hit the strings, but putting your hand over the strings is actually what stops them ringing out, I would attempt to fix this. Also, a lot of this comes with playing, it's actually quite difficult to verbalize things regarding guitar, hahaha. Try that though.

Reactions: Kim
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
You seem to be holding the pick very weird, when I bend up most of my palm is covering the other strings, because my hand is essentially flat on the other strings. You seem to be pushing your wrist out when you reach the higher strings, because you don't want to hit the strings, but putting your hand over the strings is actually what stops them ringing out, I would attempt to fix this. Also, a lot of this comes with playing, it's actually quite difficult to verbalize things regarding guitar, hahaha. Try that though.

Thanks Edward, usefull tips, i will try working on it. Yes, it is difficult speaking about those things, but i think i understand what you mean :)-I know i dont hold pick in correct way, i tried to change it but thats so difficult to change, cause i always do like this. You think it is really better to change it to hold in different position? Found good video of Justin guitar how hold pick right, but like i said its not easy to change, but if its worth of i have to do it

Reactions: Edward John

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
I'm here for the comments. My vibrato isn't good either. Usually when people explain to you how to do it they mention wrist motion, but I seem to move my fingers instead.
The wrist vibrato is fine, but I use my fingers, its essentially bending the pitch back and forth, its not the technical way to do it but I never had a teacher and learned it for myself.

Reactions: Lindsey