• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Suggestions on pickups

Niyar Deka

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Hello guys,
Y’all doing well i hope. So, i m in a great need of help. I have an entry level electric guitar (Cort X1). But i was looking for an upgrade. But i don’t have a great budget( have only around 200 dollars) to buy a sick new axe. So i decided to get pickups. Some suggestions on great pickups (which ain’t very expensive) would be of great help. I am looking for an awesome dirty sound which could also provide some great clean sounds.
PS: Seymour Duncan Blackouts Mick thomson signatures are attracting my attention right now. Would love to here your suggestions. Cheers and keep slaying🤘

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I would not recommend the Blackouts, only because converting a guitar from passive pickups (most of them) to actives (EMG, Blackout, Fluence) is a bigger task requiring additional hardware and steps. If you’re doing the work yourself, do a like-for-like replacement and go with passive pickups.
    The truth is that any aftermarket pickup will be a noticeable improvement. You can go with a pair of Seymour Duncan or Dimarzio pickups and be very happy. The Dimarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone combo is VERY popular among rock and metal players. For the heavier leanings, Seymour makes “Black Winter” pickups that are voiced for more extreme metal, but still clean up nicely. Both of those options are around $75 per pickup, so right in your neighborhood.
    I’ve put Dimarzio Gravity Storms in a number of guitars and really like them.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Ed nailed it. You’re guitar isn’t made for active pickups so you probably shouldn’t take active pickups. I also noticed your guitar isn’t that expensive(doesn’t have to mean that it’s a bad guitar) but if you want to upgrade your guitar you may want to look at some other things first like tunijg pegs for example because that can increase the tuning stability a lot!
    On topic, have you tried to take a look at what DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan has to offer? They make great passive pickups and they have a soundclip for all of them(if you want old school Syn stuff you can take a look at the Seymour Duncan invaders)

Niyar Deka

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Absolutely, I almost bought those blackouts 😆. Thank you so much guys. I think i like the Black Winter best (invaders are not available in any of my local shops or online sites and if i order from US i have to pay helluva lot shipping). Thank you so much guys😄