• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Theory

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
Is theory really necessary? I know of many great guitarists who use it but there are plenty who don’t. Joe Satriani is probably one of the most technically minded guitarists, but then you get guys like Dan Donegan who know no theory. This is really just a point of discussion, what’s your opinion on theory.

Ethan Keeling

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Aylesbury, England
I think that it really helps when learning songs, to be able to hear chords, figure out the notes and then use them to find what arpeggios, scales etc are used in the solo. As for writing i think I defo helps, as it gives you more of an ideo kf what connects, and why!
Yeh, some people can just write stuff with like no theory, but I’m sure they’d be lying if they said they didnt know there fretboard very very well.
Just my thoughts, but each to their own

Reactions: Lindsey

Niyar Deka

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
IMO, theory is necessary as it opens new doors to your musicality. You can discover your own music just by ear, but with theory you actually understand what your doing and why does specific things sound good paired with other specific things. And which groups of notes will give you your desired music and create the ambience just the way your mind and heart wants it. In a nutshell, theory gives you an edge over your creative side and help you understand your music better, hence bringing it closer to your soul.
PS: I am no pro, please forgive any mistakes peeps🤘🖤

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I’m honestly convinced every professional guitar player who say they don’t know theory is lying. They probably know at least the very basics.
Why do you need theory you ask?
Well it’s for communication purposes(communicating music with people with limited music theory knowledge is honestly pretty close to a nightmare because you usually have to give them a speed course on basic music theory while you’re at it), It also makes writing a song a bit easier(cadences and stuff like that), It also provides a backbone you can fall back upon, it helps soloing(like finding arpeggios, notes, scales that work), it’s easier to study other songs or just musicians and take that inspiration, you can find substitution for chords(this works for rhythm and soloing)

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ethan Keeling

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Aylesbury, England
I’ve got mates who havent had a lesson but know some theory like pentatonic scales as they learn then as they play. Jimi Hendrix knew some theory for sure, even just pentatonic scales. People might say ” I dont know theory” but if someone who is considered best in the world, written platinum records and other great pieces, they know a little something about theory, ita pretty crucial tbh.

Niyar Deka

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
You have everything available for fre in this school. I don’t understand the problem. Stop trying to convince yourself bout things. There are know shortcuts to becoming a good musician. Why not just learn it when you have it for free. Trust me at some point you will wish you had learnt the theory. And anyway how many Hendrix are there in the world? However, possibilities are of course endless. Of course you can be a great musician without theory. But when it is just in front of you for free , why not take it? Again, don’t look.for shortcuts. You’ll learn the hard way like most of us did. Anyways best of luck brother🤘🖤

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Hendrix probably new at least the basic theory like chords and stuff like that.
Is music theory crucial to come up with songs? Not if you want to spend a lot of time doing trial an error to make something sound good. But since nobody wants that it is fairly crucial. Even the whole create your own weather thing is still theory based. For example in something by the Beatles George used a D where it should have been a D minor. This changes the feel of the song but does not Nescecarily change the harmony and cadences and stuff like that (besides using capital Roman numerals instead of lowercase Roman numerals)

Reactions: Ezequiel Romanko

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
Not saying that I don’t know theory, this site has actually helped, but I get what everyone is saying. I was just wondering if you thought it was possible to be considered a great guitarist without it, the only real example I can think of is Dan Donegan, who says he knows no theory, and that it has actually helped him sound different because he is playing what is considered theory-wise wrong. That it gives a unique sound. Probably the best way to go is combine them, add your own idea’s to pre-existing theory. On an unrelated note can anyone think of a guitarist who knows no theory? I mean like none.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
If you can figure out the patterns. You dont need theory. For example.. I have the notes tabbed out but I cant tell you what the note is. I’m getting better though at naming them.
If you’re good with numbers you’ll eventually find patterns without theory. Plus it all comes down to the sound and feel of what you play. It doesn’t have to be perfect to be good.

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
it is cuz you will learn how or why certain lick sounds like it sounds, or how to recreate it by yourself in other keys and how to use it in your own ideas and songs, and theory also involves ryhtmical notation that is essential to transcribe what you're playing or hearing, and it opens you to a better understanding of music in general, so it may be boring but you don't have to rush through it like 8 hours a day, just sit down a couple of minutes or even 1 hour if you like to and work on scales learning new chords understanding them and try to learn the arpeggios from these chords.

Reactions: Lindsey and Kai C

Kai C

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Nov 11, 2019
Naha Okinawa
There are a lot of examples out there of people who learned patterns or chord shapes but never even learned the names of what they were playing (or so they've said in interviews). I'm going to take Dave Grohl as an example. He claimed he never took a guitar class and doesn't know much theory, that it was all just on feeling. I don't think he's an amazing or diverse guitar player (personal opinion) but he is an amazing musician. But that took years to get there

The guy I jam with learned purely from tabs and Marty Schwartz YouTube videos. After 8 years of playing he's got pretty good chops lead guitar wise but only just started learning chords and progressions that are taught in the beginner lessons here at the school. Like @Ezequiel Romanko said above, theory let's you break down and learn how to make it your own. The guy I jam with is great but mostly sounds like a Slash knockoff

Firsty Lasty

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I might as well share my thoughts, kinda redundant at this point but whatever. The good musicians I've met who "didn't know theory" actually did know a huge amount of music theory, they simply didn't realize how much they knew. The only way to not learn music theory is to never learn how to play any music, or never try to write any music. Once you start accumulating knowledge and experience, you can't possibly avoid learning about music.