• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

This has been bothering me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Why is it so bad to not like something popular? For instance, I do not like the music of Queen. I have listened to their whole discography and I just don't like it. But when I tell someone that, I might as well have said I like to kick puppies because apparently that makes me uncultured swine who doesn't know good music. God forbid I have a different opinion than the masses. I see it in Avenged facebook fan groups too. As much as I love Avenged, I can't get into the album Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. I've tried. I really have. And of course it's no disrespect to the guys, it's just not my thing. But if I express that sentiment, people say I don't know good music, why are you even in this group if you're not noa true fan, etc. But these same people will rake HTTK over the coals. And clearly I do know good music because I like all their other albums. It bothers me that people just can't accept differing opinions on music. Had to get that out.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    In my experience metal heads can be very elitist and most other people it's really a matter of how I voice my opinion. There's a big difference between 'I don't like it' and '{insert artist} is shit'

There's also a certain recognition that people expect. At least in my experience there's a difference between not liking it and not recognizing talent/importance in music history. I think a lot of time when somebody says 'I don't like {insert artist}' it's misunderstood for they aren't talented while they are two complete different things all together.

For example, I don't like Metallica, I really don't like most of their songs. At the same time when a Metallica song comes on I do notice they're good at their craft and know how to write a song so I'll never deny their talent. It just isn't for me. That's usually something that needs to be added, as long as you don't insult somebody else's taste and don't deny their talent it's usually fine.

iridecently

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Jun 5, 2020
    Groningen
    I think people just feel personally attacked when you don't like something they feel really passionately about, whether that be music, sports, whatever. Certain (fan)groups are definitely worse with this than others.

Also I find there's definitely this weird thought that if you don't like something you must not understand it, appreciate it or recognize its importance in history. I can appreciate Pink Floyd's music for it's influence and bringing new stuff to the genre, but still I'd never put on a Pink Floyd record myself.

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Oh, the A7X fandom is full of people like that. I've seen arguments between people who love The Stage and people who said they were not into it. At the beginning, I wasn't that into The Stage too, even tho I knew it was a very good written album (now that I had plenty of time to digest it, I truly love it). So, people would bash the ones who didn't like the album because "YOU ARE NOT A TRUE FAN, IT'S A MASTERPIECE BLABLABLA".
    And, like Ids said, the metal community truly is very elitist.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    Oh, the A7X fandom is full of people like that. I've seen arguments between people who love The Stage and people who said they were not into it. At the beginning, I wasn't that into The Stage too, even tho I knew it was a very good written album (now that I had plenty of time to digest it, I truly love it). So, people would bash the ones who didn't like the album because "YOU ARE NOT A TRUE FAN, IT'S A MASTERPIECE BLABLABLA".
    And, like Ids said, the metal community truly is very elitist.
    I had a hard time getting Into WTF. I just wasn't familiar with Shads type of screaming. But once I listened past the vocals and started listening to all the complexity in the background it grew on me. And then I started to appreciate his vocals more. Now it's one of my favorite albums. I also didn't like ALPOH for a long time. Then I realized it was just the video I didn't like. Once I divorced the video from the song it become a favorite.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    In my experience metal heads can be very elitist and most other people it's really a matter of how I voice my opinion. There's a big difference between 'I don't like it' and '{insert artist} is shit'

There's also a certain recognition that people expect. At least in my experience there's a difference between not liking it and not recognizing talent/importance in music history. I think a lot of time when somebody says 'I don't like {insert artist}' it's misunderstood for they aren't talented while they are two complete different things all together.

For example, I don't like Metallica, I really don't like most of their songs. At the same time when a Metallica song comes on I do notice they're good at their craft and know how to write a song so I'll never deny their talent. It just isn't for me. That's usually something that needs to be added, as long as you don't insult somebody else's taste and don't deny their talent it's usually fine.
    It's not just metalheads that are elitist... You can find elitsts in every music sub-culture, whether it's punk, hip-hop, alternative, electronic or whatever. People that are just snobs and assholes, lol.

But yeah, I agree with your point about not liking something but respecting it at the same time. I don't like a lot of classic rock, but I sure as hell respect it because it influenced a lot of metal that I listen to. It all comes down to understanding music and tracking back to roots... You might end up finding something you like when you explore music that way.

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Dubrovnik, Croatia
    The A7x fandom can make me laugh at times. Everytime I read a comment going 'Matt should scream again' I go 'I love his singing voice and I'd rather not have him scream' and A7x is one of my 3 favorite artists of all time 🤣🤣
    And here I am thinking he should do both, haha. I feel like some screaming parts in heavier songs would elevate them. And it would create more dynamics when you have clean singing, screaming and everything in between.

Reactions: carlosmqr

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    The A7x fandom can make me laugh at times. Everytime I read a comment going 'Matt should scream again' I go 'I love his singing voice and I'd rather not have him scream' and A7x is one of my 3 favorite artists of all time 🤣🤣
    I also don't want him to scream anymore lol It's cool when it's a few songs, like in the album Nightmare we have God Hates Us. But an entire A7X album with Matt screaming in all songs... nah.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    It's funny how this happens with Music fans sometimes. It's absolutely okay not to like what's popular, just like it's okay to have the opposite opinion, or to be indifferent.

Music is something to be enjoyed subjectively as an art form - but I think because people relate to closely & emotionally to Music/Musicians, they can take people not sharing their love almost as an insult to their taste, which is strange 😂

It makes me laugh because Music is similar to food in the sense that it's something to be consumed & there are different varieties & people who craft it - Just imagine an argument over someone not liking KFC - it makes no sense 😂

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    There are many popular bands I don't care for. It doesn't mean they suck - it just means they don't do anything for ME. Music is subjective. And thank God it is. If everyone liked the same music, there would be one band. And with my luck it would be Journey. (Was that my outside voice?)
    I try not to define myself by what I hate, but sometimes it's hard. lol.
    I like what I like. I don't like what I don't like.
    As far as the haters?
    Scrape 'em off, Claire.

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    There are many popular bands I don't care for. It doesn't mean they suck - it just means they don't do anything for ME. Music is subjective. And thank God it is. If everyone liked the same music, there would be one band. And with my luck it would be Journey. (Was that my outside voice?)
    As far as the haters?
    Scrape 'em off, Claire.
    That's what I'm saying. Like I totally respect the artists for what they did, it's just not my thing. My friend likes the Stones but doesn't care for Zeppelin. I'm the exact opposite. Love Zeppelin can't stand the Stones. But we still somehow make a friendship work despite differing opinions. What a concept!! Lol.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    As far as the haters?
    Scrape 'em off, Claire.

J

Jak Angelescu

It's herd mentality. That's all it is. People can't handle when someone is not doing something they're doing. I hate Jimmy Hendrix's playing. Didn't like Eddie Van Halen either. I don't like Nita Strauss, don't like Orianthi, can't stand Lzzy Hale and I don't like Megadeth or Iron Maiden either. Man, it stirs up a lot of nasty comments but these people are emotional children who sometimes only like something just because the media or society tells them to.

I remember when no one listened to Queen or spoke of them much. Then after the movie came out, there were shirts everywhere, the radio never stopped playing them, and suddenly everyone had been a longtime die-hard fan. I actually openly admitted on Kiko Loureiro's post "I'm not a Megadeth fan, but I really want to watch you live so I'm going to go watch them and buy a VIP ticket in hopes to meet you!"
    He loved the comment, and in an email he told me he was flattered that I was going to make it all the way across two states to come and watch him play even if I didn't like the band. I got one dude getting emotional at me on that comment.
    I had to say, "it's a personal preference dude. I don't fucking like them. I can't stand Dave's voice or his politics."

Kiko himself didn't care that I openly admitted I didn't like his band. That's the mature thing to do. I openly told Syn I use to LOATHE A7X when I was younger. He seriously didn't care.

Be you, homie

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Honestly some people are just immature and can’t handle that people can have opinions. I always get attacked for not liking Billie eilish or most female fronted bands. It’s not that I think their horrible it’s just not my thing and I could care less what people listen to. If you like Billie eilish that’s fine with me, just make sure you enjoy it and it’s not forced on you.

most musicians and big music fans won’t care about what you like or dislike. Like jak said syn didn’t care that she didn’t like them when she was younger.

I have a similar situation to that. I watch the drummer of escape the fate on twitch and I told him I’m not even a fan of the band but he’s enjoyable to hang with and he said see to have fun and enjoy my streams you don’t have to be a fan.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Why is it so bad to not like something popular? For instance, I do not like the music of Queen. I have listened to their whole discography and I just don't like it. But when I tell someone that, I might as well have said I like to kick puppies because apparently that makes me uncultured swine who doesn't know good music. God forbid I have a different opinion than the masses. I see it in Avenged facebook fan groups too. As much as I love Avenged, I can't get into the album Sounding the Seventh Trumpet. I've tried. I really have. And of course it's no disrespect to the guys, it's just not my thing. But if I express that sentiment, people say I don't know good music, why are you even in this group if you're not noa true fan, etc. But these same people will rake HTTK over the coals. And clearly I do know good music because I like all their other albums. It bothers me that people just can't accept differing opinions on music. Had to get that out.
    I haven't read any of the other answers yet, and I'm sure there are some kickass responses, but this is one of the areas where each of us needs two things: #1, the courage of our convictions to know and understand that our own opinions are valid and good; and #2, remember the Golden Rule and be careful to not treat others this way, too.

It's actually pretty easy to do, and it's also easy to be misinterpreted and seen as a bully for replying with your own opinion.

Good response: I think Queen is awesome, but I get that it's really not everyone's taste.
    Bad response: You DON'T like Queen? Do you even ROCK, bro? WTF is wrong with you?

Now, these are kind of the two extremes, but we do all need to be aware of how we phrase things so we err on the side of the Good Response. And as FAR MORE ENLIGHTENED INDIVIDUALS, it's up to us and others like us to be ambassadors of this approach. In short, we need to epitomize it far and wide and be the example for others. Call it virtue signaling, or whatever, but I prefer to just call it two things: Trying to live the Golden Rule, and trying to be the best example of that for others that I can be.

That takes more self-confidence than some can muster, but like all things we speak of here on the school, the more we do it, the more confident we are in ourselves as a result - whether it's behavior towards others or playing guitar.

Now I'm going to go read the shit everyone else wrote, and smack my forehead for all the cool shit I totally forgot :rock-hand::rock-hand::rock-hand:

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    And here I am thinking he should do both, haha. I feel like some screaming parts in heavier songs would elevate them. And it would create more dynamics when you have clean singing, screaming and everything in between.
    He does do a little screaming on each album, still. It's just usually behind a clean voice to reinforce it, rather than being front and center, like Trivium.

Reactions: redlipsofdeceit
    Status
    Not open for further replies.