• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What Chords can you use to play over Power chords?

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, I would agree with Jak.

A power chord is just the I and V of your chord anyway, so any major, minor, sus2, sus4 etc should work fine (not sure about chords that move the V though?). You don't even need to play the full chord, even just part of it can be enough.

Someone who is a little more well versed in theory could probably explain it better than me though.

Paging Dr Ids.

Reactions: Ezequiel Romanko

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Argentina
Yeah i was hearing a lot of music where it happens to add more to the part for example if you have saw the The Stage breakdown, in the chorus there are some chords on a clean guitar with a bit of arpeggio and strumming over the power chords and the leads, so i was thinking if any chord can be used or just some

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
What a power chord really is is just the root and the fifth of a chord. This means that you can really play any chord you want over it as long as it has that root note and it's fifth in it.

This is in general, what should be noted is that a lot of the times minor and major are implied a little bit by the chord progression you're playing( D5 C5 Bb5 tends to be D minor for example) but in the end you're pretty free to do whatever you want, just don't go crazy and do m7b5 and things like that.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Yeah, I would agree with Jak.

A power chord is just the I and V of your chord anyway, so any major, minor, sus2, sus4 etc should work fine (not sure about chords that move the V though?). You don't even need to play the full chord, even just part of it can be enough.

Someone who is a little more well versed in theory could probably explain it better than me though.

Paging Dr Ids.
Just a small heads up about the use of Roman numerals. Roman numerals are used to denote chords(upper case major, lower case minor). When you want to say something about an interval you should just use regular numbers like root and fifth and stuff like that. Just so there's no confusion there

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I do have a question here. If I want to make a powerchord a full chord, to know what I can add between the root and the fifth I need to know what key or scale I am/want to be in and and which notes appear in that scale, right? Otherwise I could throw in any note and it might sound worse than before. Or should I just experiment which notes to add to make the chord sound good to my ear?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I do have a question here. If I want to make a powerchord a full chord, to know what I can add between the root and the fifth I need to know what key or scale I am/want to be in and and which notes appear in that scale, right? Otherwise I could throw in any note and it might sound worse than before. Or should I just experiment which notes to add to make the chord sound good to my ear?
    The note you want to consider adding in is third because that determines whether it's minor or major. You can also just add the 4th or the second which make It a sus chord. when you add a minor seventh and a major third that instantly implies the key you're in since that is a V chord.

So now you can't just add any note, it need to be one of the intervals(2 3 4 6 7) of the root note you're playing.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    How do I know what is the third, second etc? Is it just going through the cromatic scale? I have no idea how minors and majors work here 😅
    And what is a V chord?
    It's the notes from the major scale. Minor is when you flat all of them (except the fourth and fifth they are perfect). V chord is the chord build around the fifth note of the major scale.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Firsty Lasty

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    One thing that can be really fun to do is record a basic power chord progression and use "brute force" to find some things which sound cool and flavorful over it. By that I mean completely ignore music theory and try every power chord and complete chord that you know over it. Like literally every major and minor triad, every kind of seventh chord, all of it. Just write down what grabs your ear and go from there. This probably sounds like a strange thing to do, but I find it super inspiring.

I should probably also give a more specific answer to the question. Sus 2. Hitting that second interval above fat power chords sounds great.

Of course you can also get bigger power chords by adding notes to the bottom. A favorite chord type of mine is to take a power chord and add the sixth beneath it, which magically transforms it into a kind of seventh chord without the fifth. That was probably confusing, let me explain better. Look at these two chords:
    x6578x
    x5356x

They're both just power chords with an extra note on bottom. In the first case the intervals of the chord are:
    major 3rd
    major seventh
    octave of the major 3rd

The second one is:
    minor 3rd
    minor 7th
    octave of the minor 3rd

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yea
    Just a small heads up about the use of Roman numerals. Roman numerals are used to denote chords(upper case major, lower case minor). When you want to say something about an interval you should just use regular numbers like root and fifth and stuff like that. Just so there's no confusion there

Ahh, good point, I'll remember that for the future. Just to clarify it in my own head, are the notes for building chords, for eg. the 1, 3 and 5 for a major, the interval numbers or are they scale degrees? Or is that kinda the same thing?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    It's the notes from the major scale. Minor is when you flat all of them (except the fourth and fifth they are perfect). V chord is the chord build around the fifth note of the major scale.
    I may sound really dumb now but whatever. Which major scale? Does it depend what chord you are playing?

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Argentina
    Yea

Ahh, good point, I'll remember that for the future. Just to clarify it in my own head, are the notes for building chords, for eg. the 1, 3 and 5 for a major, the interval numbers or are they scale degrees? Or is that kinda the same thing?
    Well for eg. If you are in the key of C Major and you're making the C major chord wich haves C(root) E(Third) G(fifth) they are actually the interval numbers and the scale degree but if you're making the G chord of that C major scale its only the interval numbers cuz you have G (root of the Gmaj chord and Fifth degree of C major scale) B ( third of Gmaj chord and 7th degree of C major scale) and D ( fifth of Gmaj Chord and second degree of C major scale).

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well for eg. If you are in the key of C Major and you're making the C major chord wich haves C(root) E(Third) G(fifth) they are actually the interval numbers and the scale degree but if you're making the G chord of that C major scale its only the interval numbers cuz you have G (root of the Gmaj chord and Fifth degree of C major scale) B ( third of Gmaj chord and 7th degree of C major scale) and D ( fifth of Gmaj Chord and second degree of C major scale).

Ok, I think I see what you are saying. A C major chord built from the C major scale would be in scale degree terms, 1 3 5 and in interval terms R M3 and P5? Likewise C minor would be 1 b3 and 5 or R m3 and P5?

Ezequiel Romanko

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Argentina
    Ok, I think I see what you are saying. A C major chord built from the C major scale would be in scale degree terms, 1 3 5 and in interval terms R M3 and P5? Likewise C minor would be 1 b3 and 5 or R m3 and P5?
    Yes R m3 and P5, in fact you can call the Root of a Chord its the note that gives the name to the chord eg, but the 3 and the 5 will be counted from that root of the chord.

Reactions: Adin Shepherd