• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What defines gypsy jazz

Josh Wright

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I have done a little bit of looking into gypsy jazz and I’m wondering what makes something gypsy jazz versus not. I haven’t had a lot of time to look into it, and I was looking for some input from y’all. What are the techniques that go into it?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
It’s really a combination of scales chords and techniques for example there are lot of 6 chords and using melodic/harmonic minor and diminished stuff also works very good!
The most important technique is la pompe(it is build to kinda emulate drums a bit) you kinda use your low strings as the bass drumm and the high strings as snare. Besides La pomle you also have thigs like rest strokes some economy picking and sometimes sweep picking works pretty good too.
Last but not least there is the sound gypsy jazz has. That is usually created by a combination if the strings used, having a gitane and which pick youbuse.
Hope this answers your question and helps a bit😁

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Yeah gypsy jazz stuff can be a bit overwhelming. I cant really grap the complete thing yet either so i basically just wrote down the basic stuff I do actually know. There is also some super locrian mode(alterate scale) stuff involved and a bit more complicated jazz chords. For example
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nuwvf5l1tr4qfv7/Django%27s-Castle-Triple-X-Mini-Series-The-Lush-Chords.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9dsl0xmgsm1so8/robin-nolan-chart-160-Love-Me-Tender-The-Bridge-Chords.pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c41b5ij59gjnjly/robin-nolan-chart-168-Improvising-Over-Chords.pdf?dl=0
I would advice to sign up at gypsy jazz secrets yourself then you will get all these charts yourself

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Gypsy Jazz guitar was invented by Django Reinhardt. It has a complete different set of rules (and a different sound) from any other form of jazz. It has to do with chords, rhythms & note choices, BUT ALSO it owes much of it’s sound to the type of guitar used and how it is played. A Gypsy Jazz guitar has a smaller sound-hole and has a more “tinny” sort of tone. Part of this “tinny tone” is due to the natural sound of the guitar and part of it is due to the right hand picking very near the bridge.
Just listen to 3 or 4 Django songs and you’ll get it. Thousands of guitarists have spent the better part of the last 70 years trying to capture his magic. Very few have come close. After you check out Django, google Robin Nolan. He is the premiere online teacher for all things Gypsy.
Cheers!
PG