• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What keeps you motivated?

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I just have fun playing guitar to be honest! Playing/learning some songs I like, or just trying practice tecniques whatever. When you come up with something on your own or play something you were not able before is really rewarding. I dont put pressure on myself to do it at all, and I rarely get frustrated when I cant do something! Plus the fact that when Im playing I really forget problems and real life etc but thats the same with every hobby or should be at least...maybe xD

True! It's like music is our bed, the shoulder to cry on, our home ;)

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
See I find that this is a very “on the fence” kinda thing, once I’m in the “Zone” I can just keep on going and playing, trying out different techniques and strategies and coming up with different styles but then if I’m not in the zone, I end up getting frustrated as hell. Music doesn’t age but we do, so we rock for the ages until we can’t no more is the way I see it!

Ikr? It's almost like it's become our spiritual fuel!

Reactions: Chris Johnston

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
New materials (Music, technique etc.)

There's always something new & different about each & every song!

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Effectively what keeps me going is just the ambition to be really good at my craft and know all sides of it(playing recording, mixing, mastering etc.). I'm a strong believer of independence because it allows me to not depend on anyone to get things done. However, to be able to get there you need to practice your craft and your skills so that's what keeps me going(I'm also a workaholic to be fair)

I totally agree! Everything starts from YOU!

Muz Malek

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I always like to look back to the Guitar player I was before I went to college & really committed to my craft, and use how far I've came as motivation - only 5 or 6 years ago so it still feels recent. The responsibility of teaching people week to week is a great motivator to improve as well! But when it really comes down to it, it could be the tiniest little thing in a song that keeps me going when I hear it and want to figure it out or it pushes me to want to write something that makes me feel the same way. I've always been crazy about the arpeggio Syn plays in the MIA solo at 5:38 - I have no idea why it hits me the way it does but it's one of the most beautiful things I've heard him play on a song 🤟

Spot on! Music does wonders! Keep it up man!

• Love
So what im gonna say is not the most fun but I believe in sharing honestly. This year has been the worst of my life. I have lost... a lot. And by that I mean all the forms of loss. The heartbreaking ones, the permanant ones, the ones caused by the world.... you get the point. They all happened one after the other and i did not catch a break. It all happened despite my best efforts and I cant close my eyes without reliving the moments.

Now I am not looking for sympathy, I do what I must and I do it well, but its important to give context to see where I am coming from. And because even in the darkest moments, there is light to be found.

I took control of my life and realized that the one constant in my life has been music. It wasnt perfect but my musical journey has always taken me exactly where I was meant to be. always. We could dive into a more spiritual aspect to this conversation but I will leave that for another day. I have a goal. I have a plan and i stick to it. I know who I want to be. What I want to become. So I work for it. Everyday. Sometimes its a very small contribution, sometimes its bigger but the point is that it adds up to get closer to the goal because there are so many steps. I am working on an EP of my own and im taking care of 85% of the work and that requires a lot of discipline and will and planning etc...

So in conclusion, what keeps me motivated? My own fire. Because nobody is gonna come at me and give me what i want on a silver platter. I must earn it and at the very least, I will give it my best shot. So yeah I take life as it is, not as I want it to be. One day at a time and always trying my best to go to sleep as the best version of myself :)
That's beautiful!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
So what im gonna say is not the most fun but I believe in sharing honestly. This year has been the worst of my life. I have lost... a lot. And by that I mean all the forms of loss. The heartbreaking ones, the permanant ones, the ones caused by the world.... you get the point. They all happened one after the other and i did not catch a break. It all happened despite my best efforts and I cant close my eyes without reliving the moments.

Now I am not looking for sympathy, I do what I must and I do it well, but its important to give context to see where I am coming from. And because even in the darkest moments, there is light to be found.

I took control of my life and realized that the one constant in my life has been music. It wasnt perfect but my musical journey has always taken me exactly where I was meant to be. always. We could dive into a more spiritual aspect to this conversation but I will leave that for another day. I have a goal. I have a plan and i stick to it. I know who I want to be. What I want to become. So I work for it. Everyday. Sometimes its a very small contribution, sometimes its bigger but the point is that it adds up to get closer to the goal because there are so many steps. I am working on an EP of my own and im taking care of 85% of the work and that requires a lot of discipline and will and planning etc...

So in conclusion, what keeps me motivated? My own fire. Because nobody is gonna come at me and give me what i want on a silver platter. I must earn it and at the very least, I will give it my best shot. So yeah I take life as it is, not as I want it to be. One day at a time and always trying my best to go to sleep as the best version of myself :)
Somebody should frame this, it's a very good message!

Glad you're doing better!

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy

This is such a beautiful message 🖤

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Oh, how I wish I had some eloquent speech to give here, but for me, my love of music is my basic motivation. It’s very early in my journey, I have cried more times than I can count, but I always come back. Looking back at old practice videos and seeing even a slight change in something as simple as how I held my pick, or successfully doing a pull off, or getting a strumming pattern correctly made me excited!!! I definitely got a late start in life at this beautiful instrument, but each day counts; each strum, each individual note plucked to perfection, each new endeavor is worth it and brings such joy.

beatrix

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 19, 2020
    Italy
    these years have been the worst of my life.
    i don't wanna go into detail but i really hit rock bottom...i stopped living for almost three years and recovering was not easy at all. if I'm here today, i owe it all to the music. the music helped me and always held my hand in the worst moments. over time, with the right help, i managed to get back. and what continues to motivate me today is music, my passion for the guitar (still thank you syn and papa gates for this amazing school 🙏🏻) and my goals for the future. i’d really love to be able to do something with music in the future. the guys from avenged were the only ones who finally motivated me to commit and pursue my dreams, without giving up let alone throwing myself down. so yes, what motivates me is my passion for music and the goals i’d love to achieve with it.💪

For me, the passion and the drive I had as a 13-14 year old has carried me a lot of the time. Back then nothing was out of reach and I believed the impossible could be. Throughout the years, whenever I've had lows I think back to the way I used to feel and I never give up because I couldn't do anything that would disappoint that girl. That connection to my inner child has kept the belief alive.

As I've matured and evolved in my pursuit, I have understood the importance of patience in order to master anything. The truth is, it WILL take time. No matter what you do, no one is above this rule. Even the most talented of people need to put in the time to focus their abilities. The sooner you surrender yourself to the process and accept it, the less you will need external motivation. Your highs and lows will become part of the journey but won't be tied to your value as a person and won't weigh you down emotionally.

If I'm having one of those moments where I'm exhausted and I need the energy to continue, I watch my favourite people do what they love. That always deeply inspires me. I watch a live performance, or a YouTube video of someone talking about their songs or productions. Never fails. ;)

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    For me, its all in the love of music and performing. I strive to be a performer some day. I believe if there is any magic in the world, its music. It can turn a bad day into a good day. It brings people together, stops hate, and spreads love. Ive been polar opposite personalities with people before, and once music is brought up its like we’re brothers (or sisters.)

Like i said, my main goal is to be a perfomer. What keeps me motivated is watching live videos of my favorite bands. @Syn Gates absolutely nailing a solo in front of thousands of people, james hetfield’s raw energy and powerful voice echoing through stadium speakers, the Gods that were Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen playing their blistering leads, and lest i forget, Ronnie Van Zant standing still (and barefoot) yet being the most badass person on the stage with such a commanding presence.

For me, music is more than just the theory, the technique, the politics. Music is about the human spirit. Music IS the human spirit. I dont care what anyone says, if you’re a beginner still in the early stages, or a seasoned veteran of any instrument, having a lot of heart, and love for the art is whats most important.

Party on, people. 🤙🏻

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    For me, its all in the love of music and performing. I strive to be a performer some day. I believe if there is any magic in the world, its music. It can turn a bad day into a good day. It brings people together, stops hate, and spreads love. Ive been polar opposite personalities with people before, and once music is brought up its like we’re brothers (or sisters.)

Like i said, my main goal is to be a perfomer. What keeps me motivated is watching live videos of my favorite bands. @Syn Gates absolutely nailing a solo in front of thousands of people, james hetfield’s raw energy and powerful voice echoing through stadium speakers, the Gods that were Randy Rhoads and Eddie Van Halen playing their blistering leads, and lest i forget, Ronnie Van Zant standing still (and barefoot) yet being the most badass person on the stage with such a commanding presence.

For me, music is more than just the theory, the technique, the politics. Music is about the human spirit. Music IS the human spirit. I dont care what anyone says, if you’re a beginner still in the early stages, or a seasoned veteran of any instrument, having a lot of heart, and love for the art is whats most important.

Party on, people. 🤙🏻
    Can you imagine what its like to play a show and the fans sing your songs back to you!!

Reactions: Muz Malek

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Life punched me in the face a couple of times and then I learned that I should start taking care of myself. Music was there to help me rebuild myself. Focusing on learning guitar really got me reconnected me with myself. Playing just keeps my feet on the ground and every time I grab my guitar is the best time ever, even when I'm torturing myself trying to learn something that's over my head.
    Every small achievement is a spark of happiness and self confidence and basically it's all about feeling good and being reasonably happy in life.

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    I started playing guitar only recently and fairly late in life, at least I see it this way. I was just coming out of a rough period of my life. I always struggled in this past years, but some months ago corona,the lockdown, and work problems added to the mix and almost had a mental breakdown...so I decided to do something that I would have always wanted to do but never had the time and patience to really take on, and that is learning to play the guitar. So I bought a guitar and joined this great community ( thanks Syn and PG 🖤🖤🖤) and here we are!
    I have my highs and lows and sometimes I only have like 20 mins to practice but I really want to learn as much as I can and take some time just for me and what I love: music.

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    Music has been an important part of my whole life, and even though I have learned a couple of instruments as a kid (in particular trumpet :ROFLMAO: ), I only successfully got into playing the guitar thanks to covid. Once I got past the initial huge struggle (why are chord changes so hard etc...), it has been an absolute blast. Thankfully, I also have a personal teacher who has provided good guidance when I need it. Of course, the journey has had its ups and downs so far, but my love for heavy guitar music has gotten me through the low points, and I have come to accept that progress is not always linear, it is mostly stepwise, and sometimes the distance between steps can feel quite long. But as long as we power through, the next step will come and the feeling of progress is just so satisfying that all the struggles are worth it.

Kim

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    What keeps me motivated is having guitar lessons with a teacher, because I see more improvement (even in small technique things) than when i had no lessons and just used internet. What also motivates is learning a new (part of a) song or play songs I know and go pretty well. But sometimes I have I day when I think i still suck and never get really good, I think everyone has those days. Also motivating to watch old videos of myself :)
    And also motivating is this site, I like the positivity and that everyone is good at its own level, no judgement, just helping eachother