• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

what sets them apart

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
I was thinking when you have guitar players like Slash & Synyster gates, etc. Obviously speed wise and possibly theory wise someone like syn or Guthrie govan have the upper hand. But then you have someone like slash, who, is Slash and he cant be rivalled for obvious reasons. So what sets these guys apart? We all have seen the polls where people vote for the best guitarists but how can you compare someone like slash to syn, or Guthrie govan?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Probably feel and melodic sense. Slash absolutely rocks those two thing(and Slash too). Also Slash wrote so many iconic guitar solos for the general public. That is sually a benefit in all thosw best guitar players ever lists

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    That’s when it all comes down to personal taste. Plus, there’s the legacy. If Slash came out today, he might not ever even get a record deal. Guns came out when it did, touched a nerve for the general populous with their style (though the talent and songwriting can’t be denied) and went down in history.
    A7X hasn’t hit that kind of nerve yet, at least not that sharply (and realistically, they may or may not WANT to – there’s a REASON, or many, that GnR imploded), and as amazing as GG is, he’s not remotely accessible. Very few, outside of guitar nerds, have ever even heard his name.
    Most people who would know who Paul Gilbert is, outside guitar circles, would only know him for “To Be With You.” Same with Nuno Bettencourt.
    What all of them have that sets them apart, is their ear for what’s good, and their unending desire to PLAY.
    I think. Hell, I never made it, so what do I know, except as a fan?