• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Where should I learn theory?,

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    I know some things and the basic. But I wanted to move to harder things, like I want to learn all the theory I can. And there's so many youtubers and sites that I just dont know if I can trust and if thats actually a good site. Do you have any ideas of sites, youtubers or even books that I can use to learn theory from? Thx

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Yeah, this school is nice, I can ask questions to you guys, but would be cool to have like real theory lessons.
    Try this one

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Autumn

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portland, Oregon
    Yeah, this school is nice, I can ask questions to you guys, but would be cool to have like real theory lessons.

If you check some of the posts on the $student forums, you'll see that one student is actually starting to write pretty comprehensive threads on different music theory topics. I imagine he is planning to go more in depth and cover more topics, but stay tuned and check it out. I believe the student it @Andrei Moraru and I remember reading a comment suggesting a music theory forum be added on the school? Best of luck of luck and happy learning! 🎵🎸

Reactions: Andrew Milner

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    If you check some of the posts on the $student forums, you'll see that one student is actually starting to write pretty comprehensive threads on different music theory topics. I imagine he is planning to go more in depth and cover more topics, but stay tuned and check it out. I believe the student it @Andrei Moraru and I remember reading a comment suggesting a music theory forum be added on the school? Best of luck of luck and happy learning! 🎵🎸
    A music theory section would be great! @Jak Angelescu ?

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    This site is pretty good for theory, but I don't think you need to get really into it, there are ton of guys who know almost no theory, I believe Slash only really knows blues shapes and that's it. I prefer a player with soul over a technical freak like Satch, although I do like Satch, but it's up to you I guess.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    This site is pretty good for theory, but I don't think you need to get really into it, there are ton of guys who know almost no theory, I believe Slash only really knows blues shapes and that's it. I prefer a player with soul over a technical freak like Satch, although I do like Satch, but it's up to you I guess.
    You underestimate how much theory can help you with the things you mention. I think the Beatles didn't know all the theory either but they has musical sense and creativity for days. When you want to analyze a song you need theory knowledge to do it properly

Edward John

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    You underestimate how much theory can help you with the things you mention. I think the Beatles didn't know all the theory either but they has musical sense and creativity for days. When you want to analyze a song you need theory knowledge to do it properly
    It depends on how you define theory, for example, If I know nothing about keys or notes, but I know the blues boxes, do I still know some theory? Theory might be important for analysis of a song but It is far from important if you want to CREATE a song, that's my opinion anyway.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    It depends on how you define theory, for example, If I know nothing about keys or notes, but I know the blues boxes, do I still know some theory? Theory might be important for analysis of a song but It is far from important if you want to CREATE a song, that's my opinion anyway.
    Well, good luck with playing anything jazzy then

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    The truth is things like harmony are pretty much set in stone so a good source is what you want. I variety of answers won't really get you anywhere

Totally disagree.

1. Harmony is the same but to create harmony results are many. Harmonies come together through many different techniques and abilities. And LOTS have different methods to practicing those techniques.

2. Everyone learns differently. Some can read the article and understand.. me personally I need to see it..these videos here immensely help there. Some people just need to be pointed in the direction they are used to. Again.. the variety of answers helps that person find their route.

I refuse to believe theres only one way to learn something. In todays world the possibilities are endless.