• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Where should I learn theory?,

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    Pretty cool answers here. Thank you guys that was really helpfull Ill check it out ❤🤘
    And I was just reading your conversation and in my opinion theory is fuckin important. Thats how you can improvise, how you can compose and understand you favorite song's compositions.
    By the way, thank you

Reactions: Adin Shepherd

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Totally disagree.

1. Harmony is the same but to create harmony results are many. Harmonies come together through many different techniques and abilities. And LOTS have different methods to practicing those techniques.

2. Everyone learns differently. Some can read the article and understand.. me personally I need to see it..these videos here immensely help there. Some people just need to be pointed in the direction they are used to. Again.. the variety of answers helps that person find their route.

I refuse to believe theres only one way to learn something. In todays world the possibilities are endless.

I think the point Ids was trying to make is that music theory concepts are all but set in stone and that you can have a dozen different resources but they are all going to lead you to the same destination. Yes, they will be communicated in different ways (which is where you need to decide which works best for your learning style), but they will all be teaching the same concepts.

What you do with those concepts again is up to you to decide.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Totally disagree.

1. Harmony is the same but to create harmony results are many. Harmonies come together through many different techniques and abilities. And LOTS have different methods to practicing those techniques.

2. Everyone learns differently. Some can read the article and understand.. me personally I need to see it..these videos here immensely help there. Some people just need to be pointed in the direction they are used to. Again.. the variety of answers helps that person find their route.

I refuse to believe theres only one way to learn something. In todays world the possibilities are endless.
    You know by Harmony I mean chords right, like cadences. A V-I cadence is a perfect cadence, there's nothing that's gonna change when you learn it in any different way, it's still a perfect cadence

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I know some things and the basic. But I wanted to move to harder things, like I want to learn all the theory I can. And there's so many youtubers and sites that I just dont know if I can trust and if thats actually a good site. Do you have any ideas of sites, youtubers or even books that I can use to learn theory from? Thx

The best place hands down in my opinion for Music Theory is Rick Beato's channel. I went straight from Music college into a Guitar Tutoring job and his videos have legitimately helped me earn my living! (Much better than where I studied! 😊)

I'd start with his video: Rick Beato - (Basics of Music Theory)

This one is brilliant too: - This isn't Rick but this is how to know your Major Scales form memory without your Guitar - super useful!

You really want to have a rock solid grasp of the basic stuff before you go onto learning anything more complex, just because the more 'complicated' stuff requires solid knowledge of the basics to understand.

The basic theory that helped me at the start was:

1. Knowing all 12 Major Scales off by heart.
    2. Knowing the names of Intervals in the Major Scale & what happens when you flatten or sharpen them (what they would then be called etc)
    3. Understanding which chords make up a Major Key and knowing the Triads & Seventh chords in each key.
    4. Knowing the Modes names off by heart and how they relate to the Major Scale & Each chord in a Major Key.

All of this info and a whole lot more is sitting in Rick B's youtube channel. Some coffee and a notepad and you're good to go!

Hope some of that information helps and hope you're well,

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

- Chris :)
    I know some things and the basic. But I wanted to move to harder things, like I want to learn all the theory I can. And there's so many youtubers and sites that I just dont know if I can trust and if thats actually a good site. Do you have any ideas of sites, youtubers or even books that I can use to learn theory from? Thx

Rute Rodrigues

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Portugal
    The best place hands down in my opinion for Music Theory is Rick Beato's channel. I went straight from Music college into a Guitar Tutoring job and his videos have legitimately helped me earn my living! (Much better than where I studied! 😊)

I'd start with his video: Rick Beato - (Basics of Music Theory)

This one is brilliant too: - This isn't Rick but this is how to know your Major Scales form memory without your Guitar - super useful!

You really want to have a rock solid grasp of the basic stuff before you go onto learning anything more complex, just because the more 'complicated' stuff requires solid knowledge of the basics to understand.

The basic theory that helped me at the start was:

1. Knowing all 12 Major Scales off by heart.
    2. Knowing the names of Intervals in the Major Scale & what happens when you flatten or sharpen them (what they would then be called etc)
    3. Understanding which chords make up a Major Key and knowing the Triads & Seventh chords in each key.
    4. Knowing the Modes names off by heart and how they relate to the Major Scale & Each chord in a Major Key.

All of this info and a whole lot more is sitting in Rick B's youtube channel. Some coffee and a notepad and you're good to go!

Hope some of that information helps and hope you're well,

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

- Chris :)
    Oof thanks dude!! Really aprecciate it!

Reactions: Chris Johnston
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    There are a billion theories out there.... One way to quickly find something relevant to you is to google what you are interested in currently on guitar, then look up youtube videos about that theory and find some that resonate with you. (if you don't know anything specific, start browsing videos and sampling the first couple seconds to see if it intrigues you) and then start practicing that specific type of theory for an extended period of time :)

• Love
    Reactions: Rute Rodrigues

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Music theory is NOT required to learn songs, write songs, learn or write solos, but from experience, I can tell you that after a while, you start to realize you're missing out on something.

It's like taking the first few lessons of a language and then going to a country where that language is all that is spoken. Sure, you can find a shitter and order lunch, but you're missing a lot by not being conversant in the language.

This is why I am FINALLY throwing down with theory in 2020, after my holiday break. I'm going to start by reading this on my trip - I bought it for my Kindle earlier today: