• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Alicia Willis

“Sally’s Song” melody

Working on my vibrato. Vibrato is like the fingerprint of the guitarist and I’m working on finding MY sound 💕

Single notes are a bit different for me as I tend to only play them when I practice scales. I typically always choose songs with open chords or power chords to play, so this is fun and different for me.
Your vibrato was great, however a few tips if I may.

The melody is so lovely. So soft, and just so melodic! The vibrato is a little too quick for the piece. Think stylistically with it. I'd recommend at this point to try and work towards a much slower vibrato. There will be much more control to ensure it's in key but it would sound so great if you could give that a go!

As practice, I always practice vibrato equally with every finger, including the pinky! I do this by just practicing scales (any scales you like) and creating a vibrato on every single note of that scale using only one finger for the whole exercise. Basically getting your fingers used to most areas of the fretboard gradually going through every finger. You will notice a slight change of technique depending on string or fretboard area.

Alot of control can come from the thumb. I'd advise to try and use that thumb! Hook the thumb more over the top to create a lock, however not so much that you can't wriggle your wrist!

The melody is so effective and so simple that it allows you to breath. Use this to an advantage and treat this more as free time. Be really vocal with it. Sing the song out loud, hum it, think it, try to be as vocal is possible.

Using your finger and not your wrist may cause issues. Because in the long term, your wrist is just a bit more powerful and more controlled in regards to vibrato.

Please dont hesitate to ask further for help!

• Love
Reactions: Alicia Willis
Your vibrato was great, however a few tips if I may.

The melody is so lovely. So soft, and just so melodic! The vibrato is a little too quick for the piece. Think stylistically with it. I'd recommend at this point to try and work towards a much slower vibrato. There will be much more control to ensure it's in key but it would sound so great if you could give that a go!

As practice, I always practice vibrato equally with every finger, including the pinky! I do this by just practicing scales (any scales you like) and creating a vibrato on every single note of that scale using only one finger for the whole exercise. Basically getting your fingers used to most areas of the fretboard gradually going through every finger. You will notice a slight change of technique depending on string or fretboard area.

Alot of control can come from the thumb. I'd advise to try and use that thumb! Hook the thumb more over the top to create a lock, however not so much that you can't wriggle your wrist!

The melody is so effective and so simple that it allows you to breath. Use this to an advantage and treat this more as free time. Be really vocal with it. Sing the song out loud, hum it, think it, try to be as vocal is possible.

Using your finger and not your wrist may cause issues. Because in the long term, your wrist is just a bit more powerful and more controlled in regards to vibrato.

Please dont hesitate to ask further for help!
Thank you so much for the awesome feedback ! I’m going to give ALL of this a try !!!! 😃
As a beginner, I truly appreciate open and honest critique so I can improve !

Reactions: Ben newton
Hey Alicia! Great job on this! I think something worth mentioning is that vibrato comes more from the wrist and less from the fingers. The fingers are the anchor, but the wrist is where you control your vibrato (and bends!). This is something that I'm currently working on too, so here's to progress for both of us! Keep up the great work!

• Love
Reactions: Alicia Willis
Hey Alicia! Great job on this! I think something worth mentioning is that vibrato comes more from the wrist and less from the fingers. The fingers are the anchor, but the wrist is where you control your vibrato (and bends!). This is something that I'm currently working on too, so here's to progress for both of us! Keep up the great work!
Thanks Anthony ! 😃

Media information

Category
Beginners Corner
Added by
Alicia Willis
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media