• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Matt Wildcat

Day 2 of Not Ready To Die attempts.

Continuing from yesterday! So, there's still a lot of work to be done here. I've identified my new biggest issue, and that is my arm locking up. Watching over the video, I can see how badly it's affecting because a. The sweeps are not as clean as I thought and b. my arm is aching from being locked up. I need to really get that raking motion down, so more focus on that it is!

Hitting the notes seems to be better. Me reviewing my picking pattern has helped immensely as I don't hit that open note as much (of course except when I video it! >:( ) but obviously it still needs some conscious work done. Pinky finger may also still need some work, and I wasn't able to figure out the pull-off that was recommended to me yesterday just yet. Also, metronome issues and just me not being able to count nor hear.

Also, please excuse the cat screaming in the background. He likes to crash my recording sessions.
It's so great seeing you really trying to improve and take that feedback seriously! Your way up looks great, you got that rake more or less down. Your way down needs a little more attention, it's still way too much picked. I would recommend ONLY practicing the way down in between so you only work on your weaknesses.

• Love
Reactions: Matt Wildcat
It's so great seeing you really trying to improve and take that feedback seriously! Your way up looks great, you got that rake more or less down. Your way down needs a little more attention, it's still way too much picked. I would recommend ONLY practicing the way down in between so you only work on your weaknesses.
In that case, that'll be my focus for tomorrow! I think it's because I'm so used to downpicking, so anytime I do it, I kinda instinctively go back to it. Time to break some old habits lol. Thank you!!

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
Big improvements from before, very well done! I did a quick video on how to further practice sweeps but, I dont think I can send a video directly from my phone. Il try and post it on youtube or something. Anyway! The video was just going to show that if you break it down from a five string sweep to a 3 string sweep then this might help. Take the shapes already used in this song and just repeat a 3 string sweep using those shapes (Ie 17th fret 1st string - 13th fret 1st string - 15th fret 2nd string - 14th fret 3rd string and see if that helps! Then do same with 4 strings and then do the full shape.

I just noticed your pick too...try and use less pick and see if that helps!

Big improvements from before, very well done! I did a quick video on how to further practice sweeps but, I dont think I can send a video directly from my phone. Il try and post it on youtube or something. Anyway! The video was just going to show that if you break it down from a five string sweep to a 3 string sweep then this might help. Take the shapes already used in this song and just repeat a 3 string sweep using those shapes (Ie 17th fret 1st string - 13th fret 1st string - 15th fret 2nd string - 14th fret 3rd string and see if that helps! Then do same with 4 strings and then do the full shape.

I just noticed your pick too...try and use less pick and see if that helps!
This sounds like it could be really useful, I'd love to see the video when you're able to send it (No rush, of course!) and I'll be eager to give it a shot! The pick thing has always been one of my issues to, so I'm gonna keep working to see what works best! Thank you!

Reactions: Ben newton
I haven't watched your video. But to your arm locking up.. it sounds like your arm isnt resting. I had a similar issue learning sweeps..mainly the ascends.

When I played standing up.. I didnt feel the same issue. So maybe it's the position you are playing guitar.. maybe try to loosen up a bit. Stretch out a little more. Give yourself some space. And see if that helps.

• Love
It's cleaner ! I think you are on the good way! I am sure you will soon have it perfectly!
Litle question, how do you feel about the distance you have between strings and neck?

• Love
I haven't watched your video. But to your arm locking up.. it sounds like your arm isnt resting. I had a similar issue learning sweeps..mainly the ascends.

When I played standing up.. I didnt feel the same issue. So maybe it's the position you are playing guitar.. maybe try to loosen up a bit. Stretch out a little more. Give yourself some space. And see if that helps.
I'm certainly gonna see what I can do today to make it more comfortable, probably need to move where I sit as it's a fairly tight corner. Once I get a new strap sorted, I'll see how I feel standing up. Thank you!

It's cleaner ! I think you are on the good way! I am sure you will soon have it perfectly!
Litle question, how do you feel about the distance you have between strings and neck?
Thank you! I think my strings are okay, they're much better and lower than my other guitars, so it's a lot easier to play. I wouldn't really know if they needed to come any lower in case they start buzzing though.

Thank you! I think my strings are okay, they're much better and lower than my other guitars, so it's a lot easier to play. I wouldn't really know if they needed to come any lower in case they start buzzing though.

If you feel good with, it's the most important! I was asking beacause I had the impression that it was a litle far from the neck, but it's not easy to see in a video .. :)

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
Matt Wildcat
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media