• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Dominik Gräber

Learning to play Alternate Picking I the correct way

trying to get this Etude right. What I like about strict alternate picking this is that it's really easy to accent the notes on which the beats fall if you play with a metronome. But I really have to start from the beginning again.
J
VERY GOOD DOMINIK!!! I'm so proud of you! I love how you said "I'm not using the metronome first". So many people think that's all they have to do but sometimes it's counterproductive to us just feeling something

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
Itll take sometime but I think you'll he fine if you keep it up. Dont be afraid to slow down a little more if you need you're still going pretty fast.

J
The good thing is that you are aware of when you do it wrong and you stop and you fix it. What I would encourage you to do, is you seem to have the most problem descending. Just try practicing the scale going down and push your way through it remembering down up down up. You seem to be doing just fine on the ascending part of the scale so I would advise you not to waste your time on practicing that when it's really the descending that you need practice with

Itll take sometime but I think you'll he fine if you keep it up. Dont be afraid to slow down a little more if you need you're still going pretty fast.
Yeah, it's Not that slow. I do that so I still have a Sense of rhythm. Going even slower doesn't really feel Like playing something at all If that makes sense.

The good thing is that you are aware of when you do it wrong and you stop and you fix it. What I would encourage you to do, is you seem to have the most problem descending. Just try practicing the scale going down and push your way through it remembering down up down up. You seem to be doing just fine on the ascending part of the scale so I would advise you not to waste your time on practicing that when it's really the descending that you need practice with
You're absolutely right. I kinda tend to do the whole Thing because then it seems a little less Like practice and Just more Like a lick I Play. I'll keep working on it!

Yeah, it's Not that slow. I do that so I still have a Sense of rhythm. Going even slower doesn't really feel Like playing something at all If that makes sense.
I have that same problem.but when ingot to sweeps I made it a point to start at 90 and now I train at 180 before I jam. I don't like to be bored too but then again they always say work is suppose to not be fun right lol

Nice one Dominik. Give practicing in fragments a try. So for example, there are some pickings which are within the string gap and there are some which crosses the string gap. just practice those small bits and then incorporate those in this routine. It helped me quite a bit

Going up you're fine. You are missing on the way back down. Slipping back into economy picking. Play the scale half as fast as you are playing right now. REALLY slow. Don't get discouraged. Because you have economy picking down, it's going to be hard to alt pick. Keep working on it. You're halfway there!

Going up you're fine. You are missing on the way back down. Slipping back into economy picking. Play the scale half as fast as you are playing right now. REALLY slow. Don't get discouraged. Because you have economy picking down, it's going to be hard to alt pick. Keep working on it. You're halfway there!
Thank you! It's getting better already. I actually feel that Alternate Picking has something really economic to it's Motion too. It's Just different

Media information

Category
Beginners Corner
Added by
Dominik Gräber
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media