• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Dominik Gräber

Learning to play Alternate Picking I the correct way

trying to get this Etude right. What I like about strict alternate picking this is that it's really easy to accent the notes on which the beats fall if you play with a metronome. But I really have to start from the beginning again.
J
Exactly. They both have their place. Economy works best in groups of three. Alt works best in 2s & 4s. So playing your usual 3 notes per string is going to be harder to alt pick - but worth the struggle.
Does this mean it's best to use economy when picked in 3s? Ever since I've been practicing economy I keep slipping it in on accident and then I try to fix it but then I just end up slopping it all up and it sounds like a mess as my guitar skills descend into the depths of hell.

Does this mean it's best to use economy when picked in 3s? Ever since I've been practicing economy I keep slipping it in on accident and then I try to fix it but then I just end up slopping it all up and it sounds like a mess as my guitar skills descend into the depths of hell.
So I'm not PG but I'd say practicing Eco Picking really pays Off If you think about it. Economy Picking uses way less Motion of the hand / Arm when Going Up / down in groups of three. Alternate Picking seems to me has the benefit of a really simple, steady Motion but therefore requires a bigger Motion in your hand when changing to other Strings in groups of 3s.

Nice video. I probably should start paying attention to see if I play it right too.

Also, love the look of that guitar
Thanks. And yeah, that's my baby. Beautiful guitar on its own but I modded it, put two Syn pickups in there and gave it some new shiny gold knobs and strap pins

Reactions: Lindsey
I over exaggerated the picking like that too at first. I still see some economy picking but it takes time to get upstroke string skipping down.

What i did to see if i was playing it right is when i get back to the big E string it should start and end with a downstroke.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber
I over exaggerated the picking like that too at first. I still see some economy picking but it takes time to get upstroke string skipping down.

What i did to see if i was playing it right is when i get back to the big E string it should start and end with a downstroke.
True, thanks for the Tip, even mentioned this already in the Video

Media information

Category
Beginners Corner
Added by
Dominik Gräber
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media