• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
chris_is_cool

SGS contest entry - Lesson 102 (phrygian dominant scale)

Okay, so my talking is super awkward and I'm terrible in getting to the point, haha.

So I just watched the lessons 101 and 102 yesterday, about the harmonic minor scale and the phrygian dominant scale (the 5th mode of harmonic minor), and I knew I wanted to make my contest entry about this!
The phrygian dominant scale is just the normal phrygian scale BUT with a major 3rd!!! You can actually play it over major chords :o, and it will sound awesome even though it is a super dark and mystical and also somehow exotic sounding scale. No wonder it is used a ton in metal.
So PG explains that it plays wonderfully over a chord change of two major chords just seperated a minor 2nd (aka half step) from each other, and thats what the backing track of this lesson provides. So I tried playing around a bit over that track, and while my improv does sound a lot like scale runs... hey I've only known this scale for a day, I'm sure there are a lot more interesting melodies hiding in there. ^^
wait...only 10 months ? That’s awesome Chris ! I thought you had been playing longer !
I love how you keep your aspirations humble but aren’t afraid to dream big at the same time ! 😃

• Love
Reactions: chris_is_cool
wait...only 10 months ? That’s awesome Chris ! I thought you had been playing longer !
I love how you keep your aspirations humble but aren’t afraid to dream big at the same time ! 😃
If I count my first try, it would be pretty much a year in total, but I gave up after 2 months and only came back about a year later. So yeah, I'm always just counting my second run since march last year :D.

It is pretty funny, when I look at pictures from events or parties or whatever from 10 months ago, I usually think "huh, thought that was two weeks ago". But even just watching videos of myself from 1 month ago always me the feeling of "omg how little did that guy now wayyy back then" :ROFLMAO: .

But yeah, I dream big but with optimistic but feasible steps in between 😁.

• Love
Reactions: Alicia Willis
I just had the chance and time to watch the whole video....only 10 months??? That's crazy!!!!🔥🔥🔥🔥
Thank you so much 🖤!!
For completeness, I did play other instruments as a kid (severel years of flute and trumpet) and my sight reading was pretty good back then. So all the music theory stuff came back to me pretty quickly when I picked up guitar 🎶

• Love
Reactions: ari.mac
Thank you so much 🖤!!
For completeness, I did play other instruments as a kid (severel years of flute and trumpet) and my sight reading was pretty good back then. So all the music theory stuff came back to me pretty quickly when I picked up guitar 🎶
Omg!! in Italy, in middle school we have music class and they make you play the flute!! (It's the most common choice for schools at least in my area 😂) But it was really pretty basic and almost nothing stuck with me 😂😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: chris_is_cool
Omg!! in Italy, in middle school we have music class and they make you play the flute!! (It's the most common choice for schools at least in my area 😂) But it was really pretty basic and almost nothing stuck with me 😂😂😂😂
Yeah, flute was basically just an introduction to instruments :ROFLMAO: , but I've stuck with trumpet after that for five years or so

• Love
Reactions: ari.mac

Media information

Category
Riffs
Added by
chris_is_cool
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings