• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Aightball

Ugh, Chords

Still learning how to get my fingers to bend in such a way as not to mute strings. I think on this video I get closer? All CC always appreciated and welcome!
tbh, I always had trouble with nylon string guitars because the width of the fretboard is just that little bit wider than an electric or steel string guitar (something like 52mm vs 43mm). Don't be afraid to lower that thumb on the back of the neck in order to give your fingers more room/length to reach those low E and A strings without muting them accidently.

• Love
Reactions: Aightball
I agree, learning on a nylon will probably be harder. That being said, the 3rd in your Em and E chords is ringing out now, which is great!! Keep it up!

• Love
Nice going. You can play the notes string by string while holing the whole chord as a practice. That way you can correct the wrong finger right away and get used to the right position.
Once you get that down you can start practising the transition. Strum a chord once and change to the next chord, instead of strumming it 4 times.

• Love
tbh, I always had trouble with nylon string guitars because the width of the fretboard is just that little bit wider than an electric or steel string guitar (something like 52mm vs 43mm). Don't be afraid to lower that thumb on the back of the neck in order to give your fingers more room/length to reach those low E and A strings without muting them accidently.
I'm working on that, too =). My goal is get a beginner electric this year if I can swing it, but next year for sure. I have been wondering if the neck is less wide on an electric...and considering this is a half-size acoustic (it was free), it makes me think I'll never be able to play a full-size acoustic.

I agree, learning on a nylon will probably be harder. That being said, the 3rd in your Em and E chords is ringing out now, which is great!! Keep it up!
Thank you!

I'm hoping to get a good beginner electric this year, but we'll see how the budget goes first. Am hoping that an electric might be a little easier (and easier on the fingers, too)!

Reactions: chris_is_cool
Nice going. You can play the notes string by string while holing the whole chord as a practice. That way you can correct the wrong finger right away and get used to the right position.
Once you get that down you can start practising the transition. Strum a chord once and change to the next chord, instead of strumming it 4 times.
I have definitely noticed that going string by string changed a lot for my chord playing...it's easier to hear the muted notes and adjust. I will try playing the chord once and then switching to see if the transitions get easier =)!

• Love
Reactions: Lindsey
Yeah, that's what I've been doing and it's really helpful! I still accidentally mute some strings sometimes, but it's getting easier.

• Love
Reactions: Lindsey

Media information

Category
Beginners Corner
Added by
Aightball
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings