• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

BEETLEJUICE, by Danny Elfman

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
gotta say, danny elfman is an absolote legend in terms of music. i have a question for syn though. if you were to pick one of the two, Batman or Beetlejuice, which one would you pick and why?👀 you did a killer job this month with the choices!
Great question. Back in the day, Beetlejuice easily but now I have such great respect for Batman’s composition. It’s a masterpiece without leaning on novelty.

Iris

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Oct 14, 2020
    Everett, Washington
    I gotta get in on this trend too. :LOL:

Screenshot_20210407-080813_Instagram.jpg

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Matt Wildcat

The Fierce Deity
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    UK
    Alright, so I've been super excited to get home and listen to this, and that's exactly what I did. Lemme tell you, I fucking LOVED this soundtrack so much! (Admittedly, I must fess up to a major syn, pun intended, and say that I've never gotten round to watching Beetlejuice before... But that's tonight's homework!) So, here are my thoughts on a few of my favourites!

1. Main Titles - What a great introduction! The gradual buildup and the crazy layering of different instruments and elements is so cool and really effective! It's something that keeps you on your toes at all times.

2. Travel Music - Are we on a whimsical adventure now? It sure as hell sounds like it! Am I sure this is in the same film? :ROFLMAO:

4. Enter The Family/Sand Worm Planet - When I heard this one, I got vibes from MIA's intro around the 0:40 mark. Seriously love how the ending ramps up too and takes on a whole new level of spooky!

6. Lydia Discovers - I originally noted this down as my fav until I got further in. I'm a real sucker for harps, choirs and pianos together. I think I said it about the Batman tracks too, but I can only describe it as Hauntingly Beautiful, and I have no idea how Danny does it. Just a master. (Same applies to 10. Sold too)

13. The Incantation - This one replaced the previous as my fav. There's so damn much to it. The intro scared me for a split second, the pausing/phrasing and the drums are super fucking effective (Where's the next note? Huh? HUH?!) Digging the mix of the spooky harps and choir stuff, and then the introduction of the organ was one of my favourite things to ever happen. (On a tangent, this track reminds me of an old kids dinosaur game I love, Fossil Fighters. There's a theme for when bad shit happens, here's a link if you're curious - Fossil Fighters Danger Theme . On second thought, I wonder what other tracks of that game might be similar... Could be worth a look?) Anyways, that sudden uplift at the end was amazing too. I LOVE THIS ONE!

14. Lydia Strikes a Bargain - Loving the violins and the organs. I mention this track because I noted how sparingly the organ is actually used. For a track like The Incantation, it's fair usage is justified, but here, I love that it's used only at the most ominous moments, imo. Reserving elements for the right time and not just cramming them all in at one go really helps to make a track stand out, and I think this applies to the whole soundtrack. Every instrument gets their moment and contributes their part when it's needed. If that makes sense.

15. Showtime! - Oh those ominous horns. I can defo hear the Pinkly Smooth in this one! Where did the damn circus come from? Who knows! All I know is that I'm LOVING it. Really reminds me of ALPOH too in that regard, with the circus and all.

16. Laughs - Again, the different layers are so awesome. The circus is back!! Very fitting. The juxtaposition of ominous horns with circus music is insane. More organ, this time with bells, this means business! That outro section too, was that a wedding?!

17. The Wedding - Oh, so it was a wedding! Chaotic mid section into lovely romantic bells into more chaos and that ending was gorgeous! Just like most weddings, right? Right? (Source - I don't know, I've only been to two weddings that I can remember. And they were years ago. LOL)

18. The Aftermath - Another whimsical one! Again, the juxtaposition of these tracks is so mind-blowing. How is this in the same film again? Hell, it's so happy I might just dance. If I danced. Which I don't. But you get my point. Dancing. That last chord pleased my soul.

19. End Credits - And back we go. A great way to end this fucking amazing rollercoaster! It's got the chaos at the start, the gorgeous soft section at 0:50, the building back up... Just beautiful.

Okay, that ended up being a LOT longer than I intended. But I seriously loved digging into this one! I realised I didn't go into depth for Batman, so I might do that tomorrow just to share some thoughts! Anyway, I'm off to do my homework and watch the damn film for some context, and maybe I'll give my brief thoughts on that too! Again, cheers to @Syn Gates for such an awesome pick, and for blessing us with TWO AOTMS this month! Rock that hangover off, man! 🤘💀🤘

EDIT - Watched Beetlejuice, was fucking amazed! Possibly the most bizarre, unexpected, buckwild film I've ever seen, but definitely an experience I thoroughly enjoyed. The whole face ripping bit totally got me though, nearly had a heart attack LOL!

Last edited:

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Probably my second fav Elfman soundtrack with the first having to go to Edward Scissorhands. That being said, Beetlejuice is fucking incredible from start to finish. Being the edgy boi that I like to think I am, Burton and Elfman films and scores have influenced me in pretty much every way from a very young age. I remember in the beginning of high school getting these crazy black and white stripped skinny jeans from Hot Topic just because they gave off ridiculous Beetlejuice vibes. Cringe baby 🤪

I think Elfman scores and Beetlejuice in particular was why when the white album came out and I first heard A Little Piece of Heaven, it was love at first listen. It has so many elements that one would find on Beetlejuice and other Elfman works, and so for me it was just this perfect melding of all of my favorite shit meeting up as the greatest song I’d ever heard. It’s my favorite song of all time to this day.

Aaaanyways, yeah the Beetlejuice soundtrack is next level and this was a phenomenal pick Syn! So cool seeing everyone so excited over this one and Batman haha

As far as the playlist goes, sorry fam but for whatever reason the soundtrack isn’t available to listen to as a whole on Spotify, so I was only able to add the 3 songs that are available for this one.

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Probably my second fav Elfman soundtrack with the first having to go to Edward Scissorhands. That being said, Beetlejuice is fucking incredible from start to finish. Being the edgy boi that I like to think I am, Burton and Elfman films and scores have influenced me in pretty much every way from a very young age. I remember in the beginning of high school getting these crazy black and white stripped skinny jeans from Hot Topic just because they gave off ridiculous Beetlejuice vibes. Cringe baby 🤪

I think Elfman scores and Beetlejuice in particular was why when the white album came out and I first heard A Little Piece of Heaven, it was love at first listen. It has so many elements that one would find on Beetlejuice and other Elfman works, and so for me it was just this perfect melding of all of my favorite shit meeting up as the greatest song I’d ever heard. It’s my favorite song of all time to this day.

Aaaanyways, yeah the Beetlejuice soundtrack is next level and this was a phenomenal pick Syn! So cool seeing everyone so excited over this one and Batman haha

As far as the playlist goes, sorry fam but for whatever reason the soundtrack isn’t available to listen to as a whole on Spotify, so I was only able to add the 3 songs that are available for this one.
    I relate so much to the pants thing. I, myself, had some Beetlejuice pants too - and I thought I looked great! 😂
    Also, about Edward Scissorhands: 🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤 I went to sleep last night listening to its soundtrack. So hauntingly beautiful.
    It's hard to choose between those two soundtracks, but Edward's seems more dreamy and magical to me, while Beetlejuice's score is crazier. And I love both so much. 🖤💜

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    I relate so much to the pants thing. I, myself, had some Beetlejuice pants too - and I thought I looked great! 😂
    Also, about Edward Scissorhands: 🖤🖤🖤🖤🖤 I went to sleep last night listening to its soundtrack. So hauntingly beautiful.
    It's hard to choose between those two soundtracks, but Edward's seems more dreamy and magical to me, while Beetlejuice's score is crazier. And I love both so much. 🖤💜
    I remember also getting this striped pair of Sweeney Todd style pants from HT as well haha the stripes switched of between faux leather and regular black denim, they were pretty wicked. The pants were dope, the cringe part was how cool I thought I was in them 😂Bet we could still rock em to this day! Lol

And I agree, the ES soundtrack really is hauntingly beautiful and dreamy, it literally sounds the way I’d imagine Ice and snow to sound. It’s rad because there’s an Elfman score for any mood or mindset! Haha

Gabby Heafy

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 5, 2020
    www.instagram.com
    I was very happy to see that the recommendation you posted today was Beetlejuice! It's one of my favorite movies and also my first Tim Burton movie, it reminds me of my childhood, it brings back too many nice memories. The dinner part where everyone starts singing is one of my favorites!!!! the song was "Banana Boat Song" (Day-O) Lol! :ROFLMAO: Omg with my brothers, we always sang and danced that part, we had a lot of fun. Thanks Syn for making me remember all these good memories.❤️🙏

Well here goes my thoughts on some songs I loved, let's get started! but first I have to mention it! lol.... haha
    Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice!!!!

Main Titles: EPIC … so majestic to start a great movie!!! Danny Elfman creaded a masterpice, when you hear it you know Beetlejuice is coming.

Travel Music: A beautiful melody that fills you with peace. It's like a commercial song. :ROFLMAO:

The Book/Obituaries: Mysterious and so dark. The violins sound incredible in this song.:love:

Lydia Discovers: It sounds like dream music. So beautiful🙏

The Uncantation: Such a beautiful blending of horror, the supernatural, and beauty all at once.! So good!

The Wedding: Omg loved that scene Lydia on her Red dress!!!! And Beetlejuice talking with her voice! Lol! That melody was so perfect!!!!

End Credits: It's just so Danny Elfman at his best moment! Loved it!!

Thanks again @Syn Gates for this fabulous recommendation! And how nice to know that Jimmy loved this soundtrack too! Yeah!! ❤️ You made my Sunday beautiful! You are a genius and I love you a lot! stay Safe 🙌❤️

Last edited:

redlipsofdeceit

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Contest Winner!
  • Oct 21, 2020
    Brazil
    www.instagram.com
    Dude, it was such an experience, I had no idea what I was heading into! Keaton was absolutely incredible! 🤘🤩🤘
    it's 3:25AM and I just finished watching it for the 100th time and it made me so happy, especially now that I paid really close attention to the songs while watching the scenes.
    I'm gonna have a great night of sleep now hahaha :pink-heart::rock-hand:

Jason Dunbar

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Apr 18, 2021
    Seattle
    it's 3:25AM and I just finished watching it for the 100th time and it made me so happy, especially now that I paid really close attention to the songs while watching the scenes.
    I'm gonna have a great night of sleep now hahaha :pink-heart::rock-hand:
    I was so happy I watched it too. The show was totally my jam when I was a kid, but I can’t remember the last time I watched the movie. So worth it!

• Love
    Reactions: redlipsofdeceit