• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Should I start learning solos?

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
I'm having this concern lately, I usually learn the rhythm parts of the songs and mostly ignore the solos 😬. When I started learning 2 years ago it was ok, because they were too difficult to me, but now, after 2 years learning I'd like to improve my technique skills and learning solos I think could help. I'm lazy to do exercises, I've tried, but as a mom my time is limited and practice sessions can be pretty short. Exercises are boring and when I sit and practice I need some fun, I want something more motivating and learning well known songs works best for me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.

And can anybody recommend me easy but a bit challenging solos to start with

carlosmqr

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    Im not the most experienced person to give advice but I would say yes! You can practice a lot of techniques on a single solo and have fun while doing it, I do that a lot! When I get to a part where Im struggling then I look for a lesson and try to practice with the lesson first and then go back to the solo.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Im not the most experienced person to give advice but I would say yes! You can practice a lot of techniques on a single solo and have fun while doing it, I do that a lot! When I get to a part where Im struggling then I look for a lesson and try to practice with the lesson first and then go back to the solo.
    Thanks! I think it’s a great idea to go to the lesson and practice and get back to the solo later. I would say it’s really wise learning 👍

Lucas Weiman

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Well there's certainly not a wrong time to start learning anything in particular, As long as it goes towards whatever goals you have for yourself. If your only objective is to learn and have fun, just play and practice what you want to! The best thing to learn is something you really enjoy listening to, your motivation and excitement levels will be high.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Yes learning solo’s is so rewarding! It opens up a new world, and takes your playing that much further. But dont try to do more than your ability allows! Ids suggested a couple good beginner solo’s, so i will too!

Californication-Rhcp
    Purple Haze- jimi hendrix (i learned it about a few months in)
    You shook me all night long-ACDC

Best of luck!

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Yes learning solo’s is so rewarding! It opens up a new world, and takes your playing that much further. But dont try to do more than your ability allows! Ids suggested a couple good beginner solo’s, so i will too!

Californication-Rhcp
    Purple Haze- jimi hendrix (i learned it about a few months in)
    You shook me all night long-ACDC

Best of luck!
    Thanks for your suggestions 😊

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I'm having this concern lately, I usually learn the rhythm parts of the songs and mostly ignore the solos 😬. When I started learning 2 years ago it was ok, because they were too difficult to me, but now, after 2 years learning I'd like to improve my technique skills and learning solos I think could help. I'm lazy to do exercises, I've tried, but as a mom my time is limited and practice sessions can be pretty short. Exercises are boring and when I sit and practice I need some fun, I want something more motivating and learning well known songs works best for me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.

And can anybody recommend me easy but a bit challenging solos to start with
    You need to find a solo that motivates you to learn it. Then it won't be boring exercise but fun. And don't get Frustrated when it Takes a good Bit longer than learning rhythm parts, don't Rush it.

Now I'm Not 100% Sure but I think the First solo I learned was Nothing Else Matters. You can also try metallicas Intro solo to Fade to Black. A tiny solo that I Love that gets you prepared for sweeping is The Last Fight by Bullet for my Valentine.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    You need to find a solo that motivates you to learn it. Then it won't be boring exercise but fun. And don't get Frustrated when it Takes a good Bit longer than learning rhythm parts, don't Rush it.

Now I'm Not 100% Sure but I think the First solo I learned was Nothing Else Matters. You can also try metallicas Intro solo to Fade to Black. A tiny solo that I Love that gets you prepared for sweeping is The Last Fight by Bullet for my Valentine.
    Thank you! Looks like I have some homework to do 😄

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Nocturne

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 1, 2019
    France
    That's what I do too, just try to find a solo that motivates you and that you want to play and practice it, look up for lessons of techniques you don't know.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Hey 👋, I made a list with the solos that @Ids Schiere, @Jesse Salmons, @Dominik Graeber, @Stephen Vicole, @Ed Seith and @Kim La suggested and today I posted Californication in the riff section. I decided to learn the full song, not only the solo. I posted with mistakes and in a few days I’ll be posting it again to track my progress. I would appreciate that you checked it out if you can. Any helping comments will be welcome 🙏

Conor Mason

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hermitage, Pennsylvania- USA
    Hello!

Absolutely yes! I definitely recommend learning solos and use those pieces as a way of making learning the guitar more interesting. I am the exact same way. I use basic exercises as a warm up, but then really 'practice' by jamming and using what I have learned. I even play along with my favorite songs. You can learn any solo by breaking it down into small chunks. I will echo the solo that James Hetfield did in "Nothing Else Matters" as a great solo to learn. Angus Young's work is really fun to play too, but uses a lot of finesse, inflection, bending and feel in his playing. It's deceptive how tough it can be at first, but it's great learning material!

Do you have any favorite artists or solos you want to learn? I love Tom Scholz' work in Boston as his solos really are more like melodies inside the songs and are so much fun to play! I got started by listening to my favorite music and if a solo grabbed me, I'd say to myself 'I have to learn that!' I also encourage you to start slowly and by learning a solo that uses techniques and skills you have already developed as it will be much easier in the long run to just jam to and have fun with. That same logic, to me at least, applies to songs. If there is a solo or song that is above my playing level I will learn techniques that are used in the song and slowly bring it up to speed. Then I break the piece down into sections and learn it that way.

Solos in songs by The Eagles are great, Goo Goo Dolls in their early work are fun. My favorite Johnny Rzeznik solo is the one in 'Falling Down', which just is a fun, easy, pentatonic solo in C# minor. Stevie Ray Vaughn and other blues artists are fun. Feel free to message me if I can help! Learn what moves you to play!