• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Syn Greasing His Guitar in the Studio?

J

Jak Angelescu

Hey there everyone! As I was practicing today, I noticed one of the biggest things that makes it difficult for me to practice standing up is if there’s any amount of humidity or sweat, my right forearm or my picking forearm will kind of stick to the face of the guitar. It makes it hard to do sweeps or any type of cross string work as it feels like my arm is kind of stuck in place. I think I recall seeing Syn putting something on his guitar during the making of the Avenged Sevenfold album video. But I wasn’t quite sure if this was what he was doing. Has anybody heard of doing something like this? Is it a common thing or does it help?

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Honestly, I dont know if this is what your looking for or if im wrong but when I apply gibson pump polish on my body,my guitar gets easier to play. Same for the neck! Maybe its just an illusion but maybe it can help you out! I dont know, let me know hahaha!

J

Jak Angelescu

@Ids I’m not like dripping in sweat or anything. It’s just humid where I live and any type of humidity on my skin or on the guitar makes those arm movements difficult.
    @filip oh yeah you’re right! That sounds like what he’s trying to do, is to keep it from sliding. I need the opposite effect, lol!
    @Radu- Thanks so much! I’ll have to try that!

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Not sure if this is what you ment Jak, but since I started playing more while standing I am using a sweatband. It was actually not even for the sweat but because that was a really unnatural position of my arm at the edge of my les Paul.
    But it definetly helps and tons of guitarists wear them when playing live.