• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tips on pink?

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Hi all
First of all what a great website is this. I bought a Guitar 2 months ago. Have tried it 15 years earlier, but didnt put enough time in iT and thought I couldnt be good at it. So now I try Again and practice almost everyday en really like it and are motivated to become better.
I have question About my use of pinky. When I do lessen 20, pent scales, my pink on lower E doesnt position itself like other fingers. When I have One finger on 5th fret lower e and pink on 8th fret lower e, i have to push my hand up a little to press the note good. Any tips on doing this smoother or is it just a practice thing?

G

I agree with Ed, it’s really just practice and working on stretching that tiny little finger. Even though I have pretty long fingers I had trouble with my pinky when I first started playing guitar. Now I have better control of my pinky and can hit notes on the low E better. Just keep at it and you’ll be stretching like Syn in no time.

J

Jak Angelescu

Hi Kim! Do you have any ability of uploading a video so we can see it? Even if you just post the video link to this page or if you feel more comfortable sending me the link privately I would like to look at what you’re doing. Practicing the use of the pinky has many different aspects to it. Of course we want to practice using it more than the other fingers at times, but there ARE things that the pinky tends to do more than the other fingers that we need to be mindful of to make sure we correct them so that although we are using at, we are using it properly. Is there a way that you can send me a video and some way shape or form of you playing it?

Kim

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Good idea of making a video 🙂 I dont like my head on it, so just close up of my hand 😛
When i watch video it doens’t seem like im relaly struggeling, and its going ok, but not as easy as other fingers and it feels like i have to push my wrist/hand to get in good position. Thanks a lot forr offering to take a look at it!
video

Synner Endless Summer Collection
G

I see where the low E and A strings bend a bit when you play a note with your pinky. I had the same problem when I first started. I think I just kept practicing and kept an eye on my pinky. Don’t forget you can always adjust your hand to play notes better. Eventually you’ll be able to stretch your pinky and hit the notes properly.