• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD
Golden Goddess Guitar Leaderboard
Alicia Willis

Help with “Everlong”

Y’all I’m exhausted. I’m usually good at articulating what I need help with but it feels like my brain is just shutting down on me ! Lol
In regards to my tone. I’m literally just plugged into my amp. No pedals (I love my tube screamer and use it for everything with my fender but didn’t sound quite right with this)

....wait I lied...I’m using a noise gate pedal lol.

I’ve got my bass down low around a 3-4, mid 5 and treble 7

I *think* you need to do a little bit more palm muting on the start of the phrase, otherwise it sounds like you're on the right path.
Thanks ! I was unsure about that. I’ve seen several live versions where it was muted and some where it wasn’t. I’m not used to this guitar so my palm mutes are shit on it so I avoided them 😂
I’m gonna work on it 👍🏻
thank you soooo much !

When I play it I lightly palm mute the low E (well D in this case) string, it makes the accented chord on the a and d string pop a bit more. Also really listen to where that accented chord falls, its kind of a 'di di DAH di DAH DAH di DAH di di DAH di DAH DAH DAH'.

Also a tip for the octave chords, practice using your fingers to not only play the two notes but mute the remaining strings, then you can just go ham on the chords and it ads a nice percussive chunk to it as well.

Hope all that makes sense, if not let me know and I will try and throw together a quick video to explain it a bit better for you.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Alicia Willis
When I play it I lightly palm mute the low E (well D in this case) string, it makes the accented chord on the a and d string pop a bit more. Also really listen to where that accented chord falls, its kind of a 'di di DAH di DAH DAH di DAH di di DAH di DAH DAH DAH'.

Also a tip for the octave chords, practice using your fingers to not only play the two notes but mute the remaining strings, then you can just go ham on the chords and it ads a nice percussive chunk to it as well.

Hope all that makes sense, if not let me know and I will try and throw together a quick video to explain it a bit better for you.
Everything you said totally makes sense !
this is the first time I’ve attempted those damn octave chords and I’m having a hard time muting the one sting. I can get it sometimes but others it rings out lol.
ive tried playing it like I do and also play with index and pinky and using my middle finger to mute the other string but that’s not working for me either. 🤣

this is the first time I’ve attempted those damn octave chords and I’m having a hard time muting the one sting. I can get it sometimes but others it rings out lol.
ive tried playing it like I do and also play with index and pinky and using my middle finger to mute the other string but that’s not working for me either. 🤣

Pretty much all of the muting is done by the index finger, tip touching the 6th string, fretting the 5th, underside muting the 4th, pinky (or ring) fretting the 3rd, index muting the 2nd and 1st. Underside of the pinky (or ring) can also be used to mute the 2nd. It can be tricky, and takes some practice to get consistent with it, but you will get it I have no doubt👍

ive tried playing it like I do and also play with index and pinky and using my middle finger to mute the other string but that’s not working for me either.
Pretty much all of the muting is done by the index finger, tip touching the 6th string, fretting the 5th, underside muting the 4th, pinky (or ring) fretting the 3rd, index muting the 2nd and 1st. Underside of the pinky (or ring) can also be used to mute the 2nd. It can be tricky, and takes some practice to get consistent with it, but you will get it I have no doubt👍
hmm maybe I need to adjust my index finger then. I’m just pressing the 5 string and trying to mute the 4th, not going all the way up to the 6th. Thanks !

Yeah, I’m having difficulty getting that rhythm down exactly.
I never thought of it the way adin mentioned it. I think he down strokes it all too. Which could change the tone of the melody. You can do it 1 of 2 ways.. try to perfect his way. Or make it your own somehow. I think either way would end up a good result. I bet the average listener wouldn't know the difference anyways.

Media information

Category
Beginners Corner
Added by
Alicia Willis
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media