• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Someone was asking about the first song people wrote a while back...

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    So I had to do some digging, but I did digitize this some years ago from the original cassette tape. Actually, that might have been the second or third cassette tape. This song was written in probably somewhere between 1986 and 1988, mostly, and recorded in 1989 or 1990, at the latest. I did the recording on a Teac 144 machine - a 4-track cassette home studio, exactly like this one:

u2jcnxsax0vccdclagtf.jpg

To do more than 4 tracks, you'd record the first four, then "bounce" (mix) them down to two stereo tracks. Then add two more, bounce again, etc. I used a Roland TR-707 drum machine, exactly like this one:

maxresdefault.jpg

My bass guitar was a non-name brand that a friend very literally picked out of a dumpster and gave to me. It was a metallic maroon and was shaped roughly like a Gibson SG guitar, but it could never aspire to that level of quality or respectability. I don't remember the brand. I think my guitar was my 1986 Ibanez PL1660, the first guitar I ever bought new:

IMG_0039.jpg

And here's the song. It never had a name, because it was waiting for someone to write lyrics for it.

Some years later, with my band Blackbird, we actually DID get words to it, re-wrote some parts, though largely left the arrangement as it was. We recorded it for our first demo in 1994. This was also at a home studio, but a better one than my old Teac. I had a real drummer and bass player, another guitarist in the band, and a singer (though if you remember my letter to my younger self, I did not have a GOOD singer - ever - until a few years ago). Here's that song, called "Society's Falling Down."

So there's my old stuff. I knew nothing of theory. I wrote the song based on the experiences I had learning covers. The chorus, however, is the exact chord progression (F-C-D-Bb) used by a certain band in a little song called Afterlife. I want my royalties. I wrote it first. HAHA.

Now, truth is, at the time, I just wanted to write a chorus chord progression that I hadn't heard before, or at least that I *thought* I hadn't heard before. Obviously, I have - I just didn't realize it at the time.

Enjoy! Feedback and laughter/criticism totally welcome. This is older than most of the people here.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Jacques

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    Whats a cassette tape?!?! 😂 JK im not that young however when you first wrote this song...it twas before my time haha. Was just a twinkle in my parents eyes. Super cool to see the vintage technology!!

Loved all the pinch harmonics you threw in there in the intro of the original version!!

The Society's Falling Down version was jammin too!! I TOTALLY got a feel of "Paradigm - Avenged" @ 2:42 of your song.... the full step bend or volume swell sounded just like it and totally thought of Paradigm's solo!

• Wow
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Omg I freaking love it! Y’all definitely nailed the 80’s hair metal vibe ! Please tell me you had long permed hair back then Ed ! Lol

No perm! Time of the first demo:

IMG_0016.jpg

Time of the second demo (First publicity photo shoot):

006.jpg

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Ok, Casanovo … let's not get too in love with ourselves. :)

Oh, it's short now and I'm old and fat. The worst you could accuse me of is romanticizing ancient history.

Also, while the hair reeled 'em in, the personality pushed 'em away!

Last edited: