• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Soundtracks that influenced you!

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Hey everyone!

So I know we all love heavy metal and rock and all those styles but see, for me, I dont only listen to those and i actually like to expand and listen to soundtracks from video games or movies as I feel like there is some real gold in there and it actually influenced me a lot in my song writing process or just in my appreciation of music!

I'm writing this thread because I am curious about what cool soundtracks you guys are into as well as sharing some of my own favorites!

On my side, I really love classic instrumentaion and orchestra and so, one of the soundtrack that im REALLY into these past days is the God of War soundtrack (2018). I just love the melodies and the way it flows as well as just as the ambiance that it brings!

Here is the main theme:

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I absolutely love the John Williams star wars soundtracks! john Williams is a genius overall(I mean Jaws is more the minor seconds in the music than the actual shark that creates the tension).

I also love the soundtrack in Assassin's Creed, Harry Potter, lotr, indiana Jones, Godfather(nino Rota is probably one of my faves)

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    @Jacques classic :love:

@Ids Schiere John Williams is a classic. I mean the star wars soundtrack is just a masterpiece. I mean, people bitch about the prequels or sequels or whatever but the one thing nobody shits on is the soundtrack. I mean, he is behind almost all of the most iconics movie soundtracks of all time! I mean, superman, star wars, harry potter, indiana jones? And yes, the soundtrack of assassin creed is amazing! My favorite being the one for AC2

@Kat the metalhead Yesssss this one is awesome! James Gunn really has a nice vision about the songs he chooses for those awesome mix!

@Filip Tomiša I listened to it and it definitely sounds like a soundtrack! The orchestration is amazing! And yeah, its crazy the thing we can with computers now!

@Dominik Gräber Elder scrolls have some really awesome songs to them... This theme is really awesome!

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    The one that stands out to me to this day is the original God of war trilogy soundtracks. But the soundtrack from God of war 2 is my favorite. I still find myself humming the melodies and choir arrangements. Goddamn epic soundtrack. But the holy grail is when they released a metal version of the Main theme.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    The one that stands out to me to this day is the original God of war trilogy soundtracks. But the soundtrack from God of war 2 is my favorite. I still find myself humming the melodies and choir arrangements. Goddamn epic soundtrack. But the holy grail is when they released a metal version of the Main theme.

Yesss the god of war soundtracks are awesome! Though im more of a newcomer to the franchise so yeah. See here is the thing, I really have a hard time with any ''metal version'' of anything because I just really feel like it gets stuck into the cliché patterns and its lowkey boring for me? Not that they are bad but idk, it just never stuck! I usually always stick with the original!

Reactions: Jesse Salmons

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Yesss the god of war soundtracks are awesome! Though im more of a newcomer to the franchise so yeah. See here is the thing, I really have a hard time with any ''metal version'' of anything because I just really feel like it gets stuck into the cliché patterns and its lowkey boring for me? Not that they are bad but idk, it just never stuck! I usually always stick with the original!
    Oh for sure! I didnt find the metal cover until years later, and honestly its more of a novelty than anything😂 i was huge into the orchestra and musicality of that and as Ids stated the star wars soundtracks long before i even picked up a guitar. If you can, find a cheap ps3 (i found mine for 75$ lol) and try and find a copy of the first two GoW games remastered (they’re all over gamestops and pawnshops) and give them a go!

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Oh for sure! I didnt find the metal cover until years later, and honestly its more of a novelty than anything😂 i was huge into the orchestra and musicality of that and as Ids stated the star wars soundtracks long before i even picked up a guitar. If you can, find a cheap ps3 (i found mine for 75$ lol) and try and find a copy of the first two GoW games remastered (they’re all over gamestops and pawnshops) and give them a go!
    Oh I have the consoles! I will definitely revisit them at one point but right now, assassin creed valhalla will have to take my time for the next while hahaha

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    Thinking about it more, there are quite a few soundtracks that I really enjoy.

John Williams work especially for Star Wars is incredible. I remember being roughly 3 years old sitting there watching Star Wars Episode 1 on VHS with my parents on the couch and hearing Duel of The Fates during the big fight scene. I didn't know the song of course and I didn't pay as much attention to the music considering there were dudes fighting with lightsabers all over the place haha. But it did sound good to my young ears from what I remember.

The Elder Scroll's IV Oblivion and V Skyrim are 2 very nostalgic games with skyrim sitting very comfortably in my top 10 of all time list. The orchestral pieces are incredible. I'm not sure if it is called a choir or not but the booming vocal heavy songs really put you in the mood to slaughter some dragons.

Call of Duty doesn't exactly have a memorable soundtrack for me but the secret ending in Black Ops 2 featuring Avenged Sevenfold was the first time I had heard that chaotic of shredding, that style of riffs, and a first for metal in general for me. About a year and a half later I got a bit more in A7X because of that so that's awesome haha.

The Blues Brothers. A comedy/musical style movie featuring initially Dan Akroyd and John Belushi. An incredible comedy duo. The soundtracks for both the original and for 2000 are great to listen to. The second is less blues oriented but it features quite a few notable musicians including James Brown and BB King. I've spent many hours listening to tracks off the second films soundtrack which varies from Caribbean, blues, soul, blue grass, and a few other genres I can't think of off of the top of my head. Fun fact. The Blues Brothers was initially an SNL skit.

Red Dead Redemption 2 has one hell of an awesome soundtrack that gut punches you at times. Growing up listening to old school 30's-early 80's country, folk, blue grass music it gave me a lot of nostalgia.

Both parents are fans of Western films so John Wayne and Clint Eastwood films were on the tv quite a bit when I was younger. I never paid attention to the credits to see who scored the film but I knew I liked who ever did a few of Clint's films. That I learned was Ennio Morricone shortly after he passed away.

Mick Gordon's soundtrack for Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are heavy and brutal as hell. It really suits the theme of slaughtering demons with sawed off shotguns and a chainsaw.

Off of the top of my head I can't really think of anymore that really stand out that aren't like Grand Theft Auto where you have the radio to swap back and forth. Sleeping Dog's metal radio station has Trivium, Machine Head, Soulfly, and Opeth though! That station although repetitive and kind of buggy has some kickass tunes.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Thinking about it more, there are quite a few soundtracks that I really enjoy.

John Williams work especially for Star Wars is incredible. I remember being roughly 3 years old sitting there watching Star Wars Episode 1 on VHS with my parents on the couch and hearing Duel of The Fates during the big fight scene. I didn't know the song of course and I didn't pay as much attention to the music considering there were dudes fighting with lightsabers all over the place haha. But it did sound good to my young ears from what I remember.

The Elder Scroll's IV Oblivion and V Skyrim are 2 very nostalgic games with skyrim sitting very comfortably in my top 10 of all time list. The orchestral pieces are incredible. I'm not sure if it is called a choir or not but the booming vocal heavy songs really put you in the mood to slaughter some dragons.

Call of Duty doesn't exactly have a memorable soundtrack for me but the secret ending in Black Ops 2 featuring Avenged Sevenfold was the first time I had heard that chaotic of shredding, that style of riffs, and a first for metal in general for me. About a year and a half later I got a bit more in A7X because of that so that's awesome haha.

The Blues Brothers. A comedy/musical style movie featuring initially Dan Akroyd and John Belushi. An incredible comedy duo. The soundtracks for both the original and for 2000 are great to listen to. The second is less blues oriented but it features quite a few notable musicians including James Brown and BB King. I've spent many hours listening to tracks off the second films soundtrack which varies from Caribbean, blues, soul, blue grass, and a few other genres I can't think of off of the top of my head. Fun fact. The Blues Brothers was initially an SNL skit.

Red Dead Redemption 2 has one hell of an awesome soundtrack that gut punches you at times. Growing up listening to old school 30's-early 80's country, folk, blue grass music it gave me a lot of nostalgia.

Both parents are fans of Western films so John Wayne and Clint Eastwood films were on the tv quite a bit when I was younger. I never paid attention to the credits to see who scored the film but I knew I liked who ever did a few of Clint's films. That I learned was Ennio Morricone shortly after he passed away.

Mick Gordon's soundtrack for Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are heavy and brutal as hell. It really suits the theme of slaughtering demons with sawed off shotguns and a chainsaw.

Off of the top of my head I can't really think of anymore that really stand out that aren't like Grand Theft Auto where you have the radio to swap back and forth. Sleeping Dog's metal radio station has Trivium, Machine Head, Soulfly, and Opeth though! That station although repetitive and kind of buggy has some kickass tunes.
    I fucking love your answer! Im with you on most of these! Star wars is amazing! Skyrim... yes the Dovahkin intro is amazing and yes its a choir! Fucking masterpiece!

Havent seen the blues brother so cant comment but it its on my list!

Red dead is still on my pile of game to finish :ROFLMAO: but yeah dope choices!

Reactions: Donovan Etue

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I fucking love your answer! Im with you on most of these! Star wars is amazing! Skyrim... yes the Dovahkin intro is amazing and yes its a choir! Fucking masterpiece!

Havent seen the blues brother so cant comment but it its on my list!

Red dead is still on my pile of game to finish :ROFLMAO: but yeah dope choices!
    I thought it was a choir but I wasn't sure if due to it not sounding like a standard choir if there may be a different name for it. Still, the main theme is badass. Catchy as hell too. Blues Brothers 1 is especially worthwhile to watch as well as Blues Brothers 2000. I didn't realize it til about a year ago but Dan and John toured as The Blues Brothers as well. Playing gigs to come up with material for the movie if I remember right. So a few of the songs are original. Carrie Fischer is in the first film too. Both are films I try to watch once a year or so.

I've 100% beat Red Dead once and finished through the campaign 5 or 6 times while completing a lot of the side missions in the first two years it was out. One of my top 10 games of all time haha. Thanks man. Took me a bit to come up with the choices for it. Was nice to reminisce about some of my favorites.

chris_is_cool

Hot Topic Tourer
    Apr 18, 2020
    Cologne, Germany
    I do love the already mentioned soundtracks of Star Wars, LOTR, etc... absolute classics. Also the Blade Runner soundtracks, probably the reason why I am into synthwave. BUT my number one soundtrack (or my top 3 soundtracks, depending how you count) have to be the OSTs of the Mass Effect Trilogy. I love all 3 games, but it is the soundtrack that makes them my favorite games of all time, despite all their flaws.

Reactions: Ed Seith and idssdi